Working With Family

Morning all,

Whats peoples take on this ? I feel as though it could be a good thing but can be equally a disaster.

I have fathers and sons work for me and generally it’s a success. There has been times where the fathas have been a bit hard on the boys out of frustration more than anything else , and they certainly would have not spoke to a run of the mill lad like they’ve spoke to their son, other side of the coin sons have been sheltered massively and kept under their fathas wings for decades.All and all, once the lads have grasped what they should be doing it’s been great.

From my families point of view people are shocked when they find out my son has nothing to do with the business “ is he mad ‘ is the general feedback I get. I’ve offered him a lot of money to come on board but he’s his own man and he enjoys his own career path which I’ve always encouraged with my kids.
Our lass is Head of Accounts and Finace And my P.A Which I’ve got to have, as the figures at times are eye watering. Someone could be skimming thousands off me and i wouldn’t have a clue until it was too late. I wouldn’t like to be physically working with her, as that would be crap.
Even though she’s keeping an eye on the money and sorting wages, tax etc she hasn’t much of a clue what goes on day to day and she knows not to ask, I like to come in on a tea time and switch off completely.

Ive employed family before to work onsite , thought they could toss it off and when I’ve sacked them it was a nightmare. Never again.

I’ve got a mate who’s life ambition was to get a job with their lass as a Porter at the General, he eventually managed to do that. Absolutely loves it. Imagine that man , ffs :lol:

What’s others experience of working with family and would you like to do it ?

Last edited:

Not for me Gilly. I like to keep work life and family life apart otherwise there is no escape from either. Yes at times they cross but you can manage that to an extent. When I left school and got my apprenticeship in the mines had I not got in there then me fatha was lining me up to try and get me into David Browns where he then worked. I told him I would rather go into the RAF and he accepted that.

Horses for courses, I reckon. My brother works with his wife on a production line packing drugs. Rather him than me on both fronts.
Problem is one life would roll into the other.

My life is in danger to go down that path of no demarcation, as it would if I left it to our lass I think. She has from 7am to 5pm to talk to me about work and it better be important if she brings it up after that As she gets the death stare.

Now then gilly :lol: few humble brags I can literally see you struggling not to laugh as you'd typed out that snippet.

I worked with me dad on building sites it was absolutely horrible, one time in Leeds when I was 16 I'd had enough and grabbed him by the throat, it didn't last long as he picked me up and threw me over the scaffolding fence, fortunately we were on the ground floor but after that we agreed I should get another job.

No problem at all.

You’ve got to trust them to do the job and be fair with them and they will do the same in return. It works well as you’re all working towards the same goal.

I hope my boys want to work in the family business with us when they are older. Again no problem if they don’t want to, but I’d leave the door open for them.

Last edited:
My sons been helping on zero hours pre uni and the odd day
It's good to get him in but he's at uni to do better than working with me on min wage
I've generally asked trusted employees if they know people who want a job when a job came up
To that end I have 2 brothers and a son from two lots of families
Dad and son from another.
Generally works out OK though one of the sons isn't too good and 1 day his da is fighting his corner the next agreeing he wishes he wasn't there .

Sounds like your lass is skimming thousands to be honest mate.

All jokes aside. I worked in a family business that went south. People not pulling their weight and the MD not wanting to lay family off during a downturn lead to the company going pop. Was terrible to see and obviously they all had to go in the end but took him down with them.

Not good, employed my own son and a nephew and both of them thought they could take the piss and be lazy little twats. Also causes massive friction when you let them go, 100% not worth it unless you know they have good form as a top grafter.
My best marra has worked for me for over 20 years and I would trust him with the whole gig any day of the week.

I'm a driver and Mrs is a conductor and we both work for same company in the same depot. If we get the same break time I've got no issue if she wants to sit and chat with friends. We're both good at leaving work at the door and switching off from it once away. Plus side is that I'm doing set shifts and she's variable so we do get time apart which can be good too.
What happens if you see a bloke cracking onto her though and trying to worm his way in ? I’d not be happy at all …

My Mrs worked in the same bank as me. Middle of the afternoon she walked into the massive trading floor and planted a big smacker on my lips. Nobody knew we were married so were pretty shocked. I told her never to do that again. Got rinsed by everyone for the remainder of the day.

Worked with my dad on a shipyard, labourer when I was 19, moved into the office when I was a bit older. Wouldn’t recommend but I was skint & lazy & it paid pretty good for being a young lad.

Morning all,

Whats peoples take on this ? I feel as though it could be a good thing but can be equally a disaster.

I have fathers and sons work for me and generally it’s a success. There has been times where the fathas have been a bit hard on the boys out of frustration more than anything else , and they certainly would have not spoke to a run of the mill lad like they’ve spoke to their son, other side of the coin sons have been sheltered massively and kept under their fathas wings for decades.All and all, once the lads have grasped what they should be doing it’s been great.

From my families point of view people are shocked when they find out my son has nothing to do with the business “ is he mad ‘ is the general feedback I get. I’ve offered him a lot of money to come on board but he’s his own man and he enjoys his own career path which I’ve always encouraged with my kids.
Our lass is Head of Accounts and Finace And my P.A Which I’ve got to have, as the figures at times are eye watering. Someone could be skimming thousands off me and i wouldn’t have a clue until it was too late. I wouldn’t like to be physically working with her, as that would be crap.
Even though she’s keeping an eye on the money and sorting wages, tax etc she hasn’t much of a clue what goes on day to day and she knows not to ask, I like to come in on a tea time and switch off completely.

Ive employed family before to work onsite , thought they could toss it off and when I’ve sacked them it was a nightmare. Never again.

I’ve got a mate who’s life ambition was to get a job with their lass as a Porter at the General, he eventually managed to do that. Absolutely loves it. Imagine that man , ffs :lol:

What’s others experience of working with family and would you like to do it ?
As in £6 million of work on a month…superbly shoehorned in that mind 👏

My Mrs worked in the same bank as me. Middle of the afternoon she walked into the massive trading floor and planted a big smacker on my lips. Nobody knew we were married so were pretty shocked. I told her never to do that again. Got rinsed by everyone for the remainder of the day.
I would have put in a grievance.

Back