words and phrases that annoy you

"I won't mention the part they played in closing shipbuilding on the Wear for good."

I will. One of my favourite quotes on this forum was after the referendum when someone said "At last the Ghost Of Doxfords can stop rattling its chains".
I missed that one. Very appropriate.

Dirty as some kind of adjective for food that isn't supposed to be negative.
The never ending misuse of the word literally.

The phrases "me and mine" and "you and yours" piss me off for no obvious reason.
Dirty in that respect hasn’t made it over here yet. A few years ago we went back to the UK and were invited for a dirty curry. Me and Mrs K both thought it was a new type of culinary invention. It wasn’t and I had an ordinary clean lamb jalfrezi.

''full of busy'' it doesnt even fukin make sense
When people say ‘would you like to’ before asking you to do a shit menial task. Our lass says shit like ‘would you like to put the bins out’ No I f***ing wouldn’t like to, i would like to sit here on my fat arse watching the telly thanks. Why would anyone other than a massive pervert like going outside in the pissing rain to drag a stinking bin up the drive? I’d honestly rather she said ‘oi twat fyace, get the f***ing bins out.

Last edited:
When people say ‘would you like to’ before asking you to do a shit menial task. Our lass says shit like ‘would you like to put the bins out’ No I f***ing wouldn’t like to, i would like to sit here on my fat arse watching the telly thanks. Why would anyone other than a massive pervert like going outside in the pissing rain to drag a stinking bin up the drive? I’d honestly rather she said ‘oi twat fyace, get the f***ing bins out.
And have you told her this?

I have been falling down a few YouTube rabbit holes lately (is that a phrase that annoys you?)... anyway... and some of them feature Americans introducing themselves thusly: “What is up...” This is usually followed by “you guys” or some other such nonsense.

Not “what’s up”, not “wasssaaap”. No. A very quickly spoken “what is up”.

I deliberately left the question mark off the end of their greeting because they aren’t asking a question. I’m sure they are well aware of what “up” is. They understand the concept of gravity and sky
They know the answer. They aren’t asking a question. They don’t want a response. They are just saying something that makes no sense for no reason. And they often accompany it with hand and arm movements.

I don’t understand how “Hello” stopped being sufficient.

Being "Owned". Loads of Americanisms coming into our language and some are fine, some not. That one pisses me off.

And i'm a fan of people just saying what they want or mean., and not just hinting at it. The "Bins out" post further back is spot on. She'll say, while she's cooking "Can you think about setting the table". Yes, easy, just done it.

Not that I really watch shows like this but The X Factor and similar shows where the contestant warble their way through a classic song and the judges say “you made that song your own”. Aaaasarrrgghh.
And another thing. The contestants must realise by now that they are the sideshow. Yes they have talent. Yes they might become famous. But the show is there first and foremost to keep the celebrity judges in the public eye.

Back