words and phrases that annoy you

There was a bloke I used to work with who used that phrase every day at the daily intelligence briefing. My parents also use the same phrase.
My mother specifically had a phrase at the shops, in the days when physical money was more abundant than it is now and there were no self-service tills. Whenever she was given change irrespective of what was said to her or not she would always say “fine thanks love” to whoever gave her the change. Got on my metaphorical tits for years that one.
“daily intelligence briefing” - I can only imagine!!!

Police mate. It was a thing, trust me. And yes, police intelligence is an oxymoron, I know.
Intelligence briefing usually chaired by gaffers aka the ‘shudder squad’. Shudder done this, shudder done that, while the people saying that were in their beds while the vital decisions were being made at the sharp end without any real
Time to think.

Things are never 'very', 'extremely', 'exceedingly', 'exceptionally', 'substantially', 'immensely' or 'hugely'. They aren't even 'quite', 'somewhat' or 'slightly'.

No everything is 'super...'

Also the word "very" seems to have been replaced with "incredibly". Everyone in politics in particular says "We're incredibly concerned" or "we're incredibly pleased" or "we're working incredibly hard on it" or some-such what. "Incredibly" has gone the way of "awesome" and "literally". All three are lazy buzz-words for people who can't be bothered to express themselves correctly. The twats.

people on TV pronouncing sixth as sikth
This is a phenomenon that is increasing seemingly logarithmically. Any sports commentator will now say it, and I can't understand why. It's no easier to say sikth than sixth.
Any kind of business speak is bloody annoying. Do they still say blue sky thinking?

The below is from a local organisation that is listed on the "what has the EU done for your area" website. They got EU grants but I haven't a clue what they do.

"CHEST aims to create a Pan-European 'point of presence' to activate social interaction and social innovation that lies latent within and across organizations, enterprises, and individuals. The goal is to increment the number and success rate of initiatives that use collective awareness approaches to respond to high-impact societal challenges. To do so, the project will:- engage a large base of organizations, networks, and programs that already operate successfully in the areas of social innovation, entrepreneurship, early stage business incubation, service design, and creativity. This CHEST Community has been started with 18 important organizations already involved as supporting partners;- create a liquid information and social deliberation platform,"
Almost as if it's designed to be vague, and therefore unaccountable.

Last edited:
‘I say that with chest’ meaning ‘I say that with sincerity’. Well just use the correct term then instead of making shit phrases up.
Joey Essex started this off. Using a massive platform of being on the telly to get his stupid mindless made up phrases into the public conscience in order to stay relevant. The thick twat.

There's a lass on here and whenever you get into an argument, I mean a conversation with her she uses what I would call non everyday words. It's obviously done to impress the gallery but comes over as pompous and affected. On the plus side I've learnt loads of new words. :)
I know exactly who you mean 😂

Any kind of business speak is bloody annoying. Do they still say blue sky thinking?

The below is from a local organisation that is listed on the "what has the EU done for your area" website. They got EU grants but I haven't a clue what they do.

"CHEST aims to create a Pan-European 'point of presence' to activate social interaction and social innovation that lies latent within and across organizations, enterprises, and individuals. The goal is to increment the number and success rate of initiatives that use collective awareness approaches to respond to high-impact societal challenges. To do so, the project will:- engage a large base of organizations, networks, and programs that already operate successfully in the areas of social innovation, entrepreneurship, early stage business incubation, service design, and creativity. This CHEST Community has been started with 18 important organizations already involved as supporting partners;- create a liquid information and social deliberation platform,"
CHEST provides support to TITS.

CHEST provides support to TITS.
:lol:
On the politics forum one of the regular nuggets was waffling on about how much the EU had done for Sunderland. I won't mention the part they played in closing shipbuilding on the Wear for good. Which I'm sure did sunderland a world of good. Somebody posted a link to that gobbledegook and asked how it had improved his life in Sunderland. Strangely he got no reply. :)

:lol:
On the politics forum one of the regular nuggets was waffling on about how much the EU had done for Sunderland. I won't mention the part they played in closing shipbuilding on the Wear for good. Which I'm sure did sunderland a world of good. Somebody posted a link to that gobbledegook and asked how it had improved his life in Sunderland. Strangely he got no reply. :)

"I won't mention the part they played in closing shipbuilding on the Wear for good."

I will. One of my favourite quotes on this forum was after the referendum when someone said "At last the Ghost Of Doxfords can stop rattling its chains".

Back