Wooden remains on the banks of the river wear, North and South Hylton

• Thread starter Deleted member 27897
  • Start date

There were staithes along the riverbank which was a jetty where coal was loaded into boats and sent up the river. They were staithes at Fatfield. One of my ancestors worked on that one.

In my lifetime I can remember in South Hylton:

The Workingmens Club
The British Legion
Pyrex Social Club
The Golden Lion
The Jolly Potter
The Railway Inn/Hycroft

All but the Workingmens Club and The Potters are closed now.

That's the same all over the place, I had a choice of 3 pubs when a youngen, none of them have survived.

In my lifetime I can remember in South Hylton:

The Workingmens Club
The British Legion
Pyrex Social Club
The Golden Lion
The Jolly Potter
The Railway Inn/Hycroft

All but the Workingmens Club and The Potters are closed now.

There was also the Victoria which was along from where the Tansy centre is situated and the church.

Before the railways, I believe the river was used to transport coal etc from the Durham coalfields on barges, pulled by horses. There's also storage chambers built into the hillside-you can see them if you walk along the riverside from Fatfield.

Would love to do a before and after of these pics but I don't know the actual location.

It's South Hylton. One of the photos facing downstream is exactly where the Shipwrights pub is now, the other looking towards Penshaw Monument is next to what is now the A19 bridge.

Last edited by a moderator:
Before the railways, I believe the river was used to transport coal etc from the Durham coalfields on barges, pulled by horses. There's also storage chambers built into the hillside-you can see them if you walk along the riverside from Fatfield.

There is also tunnels beneath Penshaw hill which were used to transport coal from the other side. I believe a mine owners forbid a rival from transporting coal over the hill, so they tunnelled through it.
You can still see the entrances just up from Cox Green.

Where at fatfield? Can't picture it.

Near the little bridge between Fatfield and Mount Pleasant.

On the subject of ferries, I know there was a little rowing boat ferry that went across the river, possibly around where Hylton Riverside retail park is now. My Grandpa lived on the south side and walked to the match with his Dad, but sometimes they got the rowing boat to shorten the journey.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back