Wooden remains on the banks of the river wear, North and South Hylton

• Thread starter Deleted member 27897
  • Start date
There was also the Victoria which was along from where the Tansy centre is situated and the church.
And The Alma - my Grandad's local - just a little bit further on, behind the church.

Both of them a bit before my time.
There was also the Victoria which was along from where the Tansy centre is situated and the church.
And The Alma - my Grandad's local - just a little bit further on, behind the church.

Both of them a bit before my time.
Near the little bridge between Fatfield and Mount Pleasant.

On the subject of ferries, I know there was a little rowing boat ferry that went across the river, possibly around where Hylton Riverside retail park is now. My Grandpa lived on the south side and walked to the match with his Dad, but sometimes they got the rowing boat to shorten the journey.
Is it not the one in the photo - from the Golden Lion in South Hylton across to North Hylton?

Last edited:

Where at fatfield? Can't picture it.
Pensher Staithes

There used to be quite a few tunnels down there up to the pubs. There used to be one up to The Bird in the Bush which the ancestors used to have

Another local history thread with a couple of questions.

Up the course of the river wear mostly around the Hyltons, you can see in the water on both sides a number of wooden poles on the riverbanks which obviously mark the remains of previous structures.

Were these docks or shipyards? And how far back do they date?
Was on a walk up that area a while back and the fella said some of the remains were of old coal staithes.

I can remember Hylton colliery being open in the early 70's, could see it from my bedroom window in St Lukes Road. And Ford Paper Mill and the night it burnt down. Loads of industrial activities in living memory.

Back