Won't buy players in their prime.

And that gambling can be traced back to why we ended up in a mess. What was the club’s transfer policy back then? Manager wants a certain player. Pay massively over the odds for him. Give him a massive over the top contract with zero sell on value. We flew by the seat of our pants the whole time, rolling the dice time and time again and that’s why we ended up where we did.
No we ended up where we were not because we spent money but because we bought bad players.

Whats with the Grigg obsession.
What about Khasri, Kone and Kercho

Yep and were promoted straight away . Could you honestly see Keane say we will settle for mid table consolidation in the championship

And it worked

Longest consecutive period in the premier league
Where is the money coming from now? You want the owners to put the club into debt, chasing the premier league?

We could have bought players to replace Stewart . Ferguson told us that we could have Johnson Clarke or whatever he is called for £5million a decent bid and we could have had Yates.
The problem is this regime will not buy established players at the peak of their value because they won't make a profit on them.
They are only interested in buying low and selling high and wont deviate from that so they won't buy established players.

We might as well pack in if we're trying to sign JCH for £5m.

He had to settle for it at Ipswich and he never quit.

That is what happened but he did not set out at the start of the season saying we will finish mid table. No ambitious manager does that . Would Ferguson,Clough, Shankly managing Sunderland in the championship say we will be happy with consolidation. We all know the answer

So spending money on complete shit will help us get to the PL? Can I ask the op what we'll end up doing with said shit once we got to the PL and didn't need them anymore? Ah that's right, they'd sit on the bench (or not even there) getting paid to exist. Amazing strategy.

Because we bought bad players. Exactly. And you want to spaff £5m on Clarke-Harris.

I tell you what we are playing some beautiful football at the moment and are a delight to watch.
I will give it 2 years at the most and the crowd will have turned on this regime if they dont show more ambition.
So spending money on complete shit will help us get to the PL? Can I ask the op what we'll end up doing with said shit once we got to the PL and didn't need them anymore? Ah that's right, they'd sit on the bench (or not even there) getting paid to exist. Amazing strategy.

As virtually all teams who get promoted to the premier do.

Last edited:
I tell you what we are playing some beautiful football at the moment and are a delight to watch.
I will give it 2 years at the most and the crowd will have turned on this regime if they dont show more ambition.
I consider playing fantastic young players and playing fantastic football as very ambitious tbh. Far more ambitious than Wigan who spent far more. I also would never consider signing a L1 striker for £5m as ambition. But clearly in your mind ambition = money spent on transfer fees and nowt else

I consider playing fantastic young players and playing fantastic football as very ambitious tbh. Far more ambitious than Wigan who spent far more. I also would never consider signing a L1 striker for £5m as ambition. But clearly in your mind ambition = money spent on transfer fees and nowt else

I wonder why Newcastle are doing so much better this year.
Or why Man City have been winning the league so many times recently.

Last edited:
That is what happened but he did not set out at the start of the season saying we will finish mid table. No ambitious manager does that . Would Ferguson,Clough, Shankly managing Sunderland in the championship say we will be happy with consolidation. We all know the answer
No but he didn't quit, whether he was happy or not that's all he was capable of doing there.
Plenty off managers have gone to clubs got then promoted then have been happy to settle for consolidation

Jerry Yates has scored 19 Championship goals in 96 games. He's 26.

Jonson Clarke-Harris has 21 in 98 at Championship level, and he's 28.

Both have extremely unremarkable records (both essentially 1 in 5) at this level, and they are both over the age of 26. They are also players who important to their own clubs, so we'd be overcharged massively. There would be absolutely no value for money, buying either of those players. They're both bottom half Championship strikers. I don't want us to be paying 5 or 6m for that.

I wonder why Newcastle are doing so much better this year.
Or why Man City have been winning the league so many times recently.
You haven't answered, do you want the owners to plunge the club into debt chasing the premier league? Spend 50 million this season, finish say 7th, spend another 30 million next season get play offs, lose before getting to Wembley all of a sudden we are 80 million in debt with players like Johnson Clarke Harris who have then have little transfer value. Its a gamble that's not worth taking

Last edited:
You haven't answered, do you want the owners to plunge the club into debt chasing the premier league? Sounds 50 million this season, finish say 7th, spend another 30 million next season get play offs, lose before getting to Wembley all of a sudden we are 80 million in debt with players like Johnson Clarke Harris who have then have little transfer value. Its a gamble that's not worth taking
And then EFL come in and take your points away the next season. And then KLD goes nah I don’t want to fund it anymore, you’re in £80m of debt. Administration. Relegation. But aye, “we showed ambition” The OP is probably one of those that would have clapped Risdale’s “we lived the dream” speech as the club was crumbling down.

And then EFL come in and take your points away the next season. And then KLD goes nah I don’t want to fund it anymore, you’re in £80m of debt. Administration. Relegation. But aye, “we showed ambition” The OP is probably one of those that would have clapped Risdale’s “we lived the dream” speech as the club was crumbling down.
Exactly, how the club are doing this is sensibly with a plan. It will get frustrating at times but there is every chance it clicks.

Back