Women & Girls cricket

It’s brilliant news. It’s fully funded so no impact on the men’s team financially. Gives women the same opportunities as the men have in the region. Massive boost for the club financially its game changing for the organisation and bringing jobs to the region. Don’t see any negatives

Promoting female sport is a great thing, I simply don’t buy that it takes money away from male sports (even if it did, so what?)

Is Durham the right choice to grow the game? God knows. Is it good for female cricketers in the north east? Yes. Good

I assume the womens 16.4 team stay at Headingly most of the time?

Good news though. I think womens sport is the future as has been seen with the football and it will continue to grow despite the mysogynists.

Haway the lasses.

Does Durham play any games at Darlington these days? Remember watching a few reserve/junior games at Feethams, it was a canny set up
No not for years. Did see Durham at Stockton maybe 15 years ago but South North hold the monopoly as Durham's outground these days despite never being in Durham...

so is the assumption that all the players move to durham and then back down again....where would that leave Durham?
Well that’s her assumption, they’ll all sign new contracts, maybe a few do want to go back in 2 years but I think the new set up is almost a blank canvas.

so is the assumption that all the players move to durham and then back down again....where would that leave Durham?

I would hope not. Durham have had a women's team for years, and there's a decent group of age group cricketers coming through. Hopefully, this will stop lasses feeling they need to move away from Durham to progress.

There will be some players who Durham bring in from other counties that's inevitable, but I'd guess they are planning to build a team based on home grown talent very much how first class status back in 1992 worked for the Mens team.

Anyone from Yorkshire expecting a TUPE arrangement will be disappointed I reckon.

Last edited:
were going to have to sign a fair few pro's that arent local, weve not got a lot of "home Grown" players currently, plenty coming through though, only current pro's who you would say are "Durham Based" are probably Ami Campbell who's at Central Sparks and Lizzie Scott whos at the diamonds

Dani Hazel will be head coach and the rumours i heard are Hollie Armitage as captain

were going to have to sign a fair few pro's that arent local, weve not got a lot of "home Grown" players currently, plenty coming through though, only current pro's who you would say are "Durham Based" are probably Ami Campbell who's at Central Sparks and Lizzie Scott whos at the diamonds

Dani Hazel will be head coach and the rumours i heard are Hollie Armitage as captain

To be honest, one of the issues always has been that Durham lasses were overlooked in favour of players from the bigger counties.

The only way they'd get on was to move to another county to play Div1 CC as it used to be. And that's a big ask for a teenage lass. Obviously Dani made it a success, but I think she'd admit it was tough to start with.

My daughter Rachael played England U19s and one internal England Academy game before deciding it wasn't for her and turned her back on it to get a job.

Had Durham been in the top level at that point, I'd imagine she would have stuck at it...or at least continued to be on the ECB radar.

Yes and as 10/12 becomes the accepted logical number for the professional women’s game in both red and white ball and the “top tier” white ball men’s franchise league what starts to look more and more like an outlier? Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes as they would no doubt say at Lord’s. I suppose at least it suggests we’re not on the ECBs wish list for culling. Wouldn’t say its such great news if I was a Worcestershire or Leicestershire fan.

Great point. Regarding the wish list, we may be on Criminal Graves wish list, but I would hope that there are more sensible heads somewhere in the corridors of power who appreciate our importance in the game with regards to producing talent for the national team.
It’s brilliant news. It’s fully funded so no impact on the men’s team financially. Gives women the same opportunities as the men have in the region. Massive boost for the club financially its game changing for the organisation and bringing jobs to the region. Don’t see any negatives

For now.

good point the full pathway is here now to become a pro, same as it had been for the lads, i still think even the Diamonds pathway was geared more towards girls based in yorkshire.

Wonder what happens with the warriors now, was always a feeder for the diamonds, but would it not create more chances for girls to play at a slightly higher level if it split back to durham and northumberland, the tier 1 team will still take the best players

Isnt that how the mens works now

Uprooting from Leeds to Durham - hardly the other side of the f***ing world is it? Hour and a half in the car each way.
I’m very sceptical. Is it really brilliant news?

As I say, if it takes money out of the men’s game, away from everything that is best (and has been for years) about our county it’s a massive problem. I’m not laughing at Graves’ expense yet, he’s still got his 16.4 franchise and all the ECB bribes that come with that, whilst we’ve got the crumbs of a game that is still very much a minority sport in this country.

Whay would it take away from the mens game? I've no doubt this will come with a level of funding from the ECB. Think you may well be looking for something that isnt necesarily there imo.

Last edited:
Whay would it take away from the mens game? I've no doubt this will come with a level of funding from the ECB. Think you may well be looking for something that isnt necesarily there imo.

My concern is around the admission from FTECB that they are prepared to run it at a loss to begin with, because once they decide they can no longer fund it - Durham will have to fund it. Knowing how tight county cricket funds can be, my concern is that something will have to give when it comes to balancing the books.

Look at the struggle the club had previously ‘keeping up with the Joneses’ when it came to ground development - at FTECB’s behest. Then look at how they dropped us like a bad habit when we asked for help.

Back