Withdrawing money in the USA

Slightly different system over there as they swipe your card, you sign the bill and add on a tip and then they sort the final amount out. Literally everywhere ive been in the USA in the last decade let's you do this.
Yeah that was my impression too. America is very different to Europe when if comes to using cards. Not sure I’d be letting someone wander off with mine again

Slightly different system over there as they swipe your card, you sign the bill and add on a tip and then they sort the final amount out. Literally everywhere ive been in the USA in the last decade let's you do this.

It's a weird system, nothing stopping them adding a 1 on the front of your tip is there?

Although when we got back last time I could've sworn none of the tips were actually taken at all!

You can tip on the card and it's seen as slightly weird to tip in cash when you're using the card. For other things, $20 - which is what ATMs (cashpoints) dispense - is usually too big a tip.
What % of American restaurants have card machines that allow you to enter a gratuity etc?
All of them except fast food. As in, even takeout restaurants have them. When it prints out the bill to sign, there's a line to add the tip.
It's a weird system, nothing stopping them adding a 1 on the front of your tip is there?

Although when we got back last time I could've sworn none of the tips were actually taken at all!
The customer gets a copy of the receipt. The penalties for fraud are pretty heavy and credit cards send you an automatic alert if the tip is large relative to the bill. You'd be looking at jail time for adding $100.

Last edited:

And they never check the signature. You could sign Mickey Mouse for all they care.

Back