Withdrawing money in the USA

I can't seem to get my head around this one as all the information I'm coming across seems to be for Yanks withdrawing money outside the USA.

If I withdraw cash from a machine in the USA using my Starling card is the only fee I'll be charged by the ATM operator the access fee (of say $2-$5)?

I know there's no foreign transaction fee for Starling and I get the Mastercard exchange rate so it seems a no brainer to do that vs get dollars here first; I just don't want to get stung by Bank of America or similar whacking fee upon fee on top of it.

Just use your starling..job done . Still quids in .

But use card when you can..

I'll be paying by card as much as possible but I know from past experience I'll need some reddies for this and that.

So I'd just be looking at the ATM access fee, no some other money grab on top by the ATM operator?

Anywhere you go with a bank/card like starling, monzo etc, just have to watch for the ATM fee as you say. Also make sure you withdraw in local currency, don't select GBP

This was basically the crux of my concern, if it's just a few dollars access fee then it seems fine.

Yep just that. Take the max out to limit how many times you use ATMs. I've not been over for about 6 years now but they all charged when I was there.

Perfect, cheers. I thought that would be the case but everywhere I looked was talking about out of network, international atm fees etc which I assumed were only applicable to American account holders and does seem to be the case.

You're right on them all charging, absolute scam IMO.

I can't seem to get my head around this one as all the information I'm coming across seems to be for Yanks withdrawing money outside the USA.

If I withdraw cash from a machine in the USA using my Starling card is the only fee I'll be charged by the ATM operator the access fee (of say $2-$5)?

I know there's no foreign transaction fee for Starling and I get the Mastercard exchange rate so it seems a no brainer to do that vs get dollars here first; I just don't want to get stung by Bank of America or similar whacking fee upon fee on top of it.

where are you going?

Another thing is don't just draw 59 dollars or whatever.. draw the max. 4-500 dollars..
It's usually $300, but yes, do this.

Or just don't use cash at all if your card doesn't charge a foreign transaction fee. There are very few things in the US that are cash-only anymore.

Why withdraw cash when 99.999% of places have chip and pin / POS these days?

Back