Winning the Lotto. Why go public?

My dream is to gain a licence for every vehicle and aircraft in the world, and visit every country. That'd keep me out of trouble for the first few years.

Got to be a half way house on this. Put it about that you've had a decent inheritance in order to explain any obvious changes. No need to cough to having millions more squirreled away.

That would be my tactic. Tell the world that you’ve won a couple of hundred grand then tie up all the loose ends in your life, clear the debt, decide where you want to live and buy a house there. Or just throw all your sentimental stuff into storage and bugger off on a world cruise for a few months to let the dust settle.

I've seen it reported before that if you agree to go public then the lottery people will help massively with organising your new finances, decline the publicity and it's more a case of "here's your cheque, fuck off" and you're left to your own devices...
What do you need them for. I’d just stick it in the back then get on with spunking it.

My missus has a hairdressing business. Two of her clients have won money on the lottery. One won £1.2 m and went public. No problem.
The other won £10m and went for no,publicity. Although we know she's won it our lass will not mention it to her cos she spends £50 a week with our lass.
It narks our lass to feck mind when this client tells our lass she should go on this cruise, she should buy this car, she should go to Harvey Nics,.
I've told her feck the £50 get her telt, but she won't.
She's bought houses in West Park, Hartlepool, Wynyard and Castle Eden and acts like she's the Queen of Sheba.

Last edited:
Mrs Boinger (hell no) and I reckon her sister has won a substantial amount and not let on.. Helps out all family members if they are struggling to be fair.. including paying off the youngest sisters 3 grand car loan.

About 15 years ago I was working in a small team, let's say for the govt. In the team there were about 20 of us. One of the team told us he was resigning which was a shock xos he'd paid into a great pension scheme and at his age no one resigned as you'd jeopardise your pension.
Anyway his last day came and he told us he was going to work for his brother buying old houses doing them up and renting them out.
We all went to the pub and presented him with a cut glass decanter and glasses and bought him several pints which he gleefully accepted.
Turns out he'd won £3.8m on the lottery.
Twat.

Exactly. Some f***ing brain dead people about. Let’s announce we’ve won the lottery and get begging letters/relatives crawling out of the woodwork etc. Bizarre like.
Surely getting people coming out of the woodwork and having the opportunity to tell them to fuck off would be satisfying

I've never won a penny on the national lottery.

I have won a couple of grand on betting on the Irish lottery though.

Happy with that

For a win of 21m I’m sure people I care about would do just fine out of my win. Just paying off 20 mortgages would help my good mates and family out and them people know who they are without having to be told really.
I’ve got a mate with very few worries but he would be sent to the West Indies with 3 mates for the next series. That would mean so much for him.
Another mate has just parted with their lass. I’d pay her off and let him move on if that’s what he wanted.
These arnt massive amounts, just life changing for their situation and making sure these people who wipe your nose when you are being sick are looked after means a lot

Not read the full thread, but when I won I didn't go public.
Wouldn't like to look like a show off for a start. Plus, your friends might look at you differently, or want money from you or people who you barely know start acting like they've been your best mate for years.

Back