Windows 11

What are you still using XP for? Presumably not connected to the internet?

I work for a university. There are loads of scientific instruments that costs tens or hundreds of thousands to replace that still work perfectly well, however the software that runs them only runs on old operating systems. I had to do cobble together an old PC that could take 32bit Windows 7 last week, because the app that was needed was 16bit. Obviously none of this stuff has an internet connection.

Still loads out there that use legacy apps, a huge amount of equipment like epos is still xp. Not going away anytime soon. I mean one of the contracts I work on has just got rid of Server 2000 and Win 7

Nailed it with xp and 7

All later versions full of spamware, data mining and even an AI that nobody wants. There are stripped down versions out there of course, for free.

The fact you have to pay more to have more control over what's installed on your PC and not the other way round. Suggest the cheapest option has the most amount of spware and data-sharing/theft than the more expensive options.

You will still find a lot of standalone and embedded system running XP on the basis of "if it aint broke" - things like print servers, telecoms, scientific instrumentation and security systems supporting customised hardware.

I work for a university. There are loads of scientific instruments that costs tens or hundreds of thousands to replace that still work perfectly well, however the software that runs them only runs on old operating systems. I had to do cobble together an old PC that could take 32bit Windows 7 last week, because the app that was needed was 16bit. Obviously none of this stuff has an internet connection.
I worked in a car plant until May 2020. They had lots of manufacturing cells where the robot was driven by a XP machine for similar reasons

What about downloading Windows 11 and then installing (somehow) a windows 10 skin. Anybody done that?

What about virtual operating systems? I used that method years ago with VMWare on my BMW with the diagnostics programs that weren't designed for the latest versions of Windows

Also the way right click gives you a restricted list unless you click Show More is annoying for people who need more options than the casual user.
There is a reg hack for but I only really use my work laptop and they prevent us doing it. I agree it is infuriating

Oh just read shift right click might do it

Overall 11 seems pretty good though

What about downloading Windows 11 and then installing (somehow) a windows 10 skin. Anybody done that?

When Windows 10 came out people were using Windows 7 skins. Windows 7 had people complaining that it was different to XP.

Sooner or later you have to accept that interface design has changed and get used to it.

When Windows 10 came out people were using Windows 7 skins. Windows 7 had people complaining that it was different to XP.

Sooner or later you have to accept that interface design has changed and get used to it.
Well yeah, but I suppose I'm informed that I've spent all day trying to fix my iTunes app because I mistakenly downloaded an update to the newest version, fucked the entire system, which, despite me changing the settings, continued to attempt backing up my iPhone to an SSD that didn't have space for it. Then when I tried to retreat to an older version to fix the bloody thing, the version I previously owned... which fortunately I'd written down, ...wasn't available except on some dodgy sites, so I had to go around the houses, and download the nearest thing. Then it wouldn't work. And the only fix I could eventually figure out, was to copy the various iTunes backup system files from the place where previous experience told me I should save them - in order to avoid all my playlists and folders disappearing whenever it previously crashed - which meant, at least I could load it. But iTunes defaults to link to the SSD. So I had to reconfigure it to link to the portable hard drive where I store my music. That's been my day. And all I wanted to do was check-out a Sonic Youth compilation album ffs.

So I'm reluctant to update or download anything that will actually stop my computer working. Even updating the Windows operating system I don't want much out of it and I'm by now means an IT expert... but very often I get the impression that everybody is expected to be now. I'm constantly googling just to fix things and make it work. It's beginning to feel like the equivalent of not being allowed to drive unless you're a motor mechanic... although, to be fair, you probably have to be an IT expert to do that these days... most of the glitches on my brand new car are on the frigging on-board computer 'infotainment' and computer operated braking and 'assist' systems

There. You got a rant. No extra charge ;)

I'm doing a frigging security scan now.

Back