Will Stills Reims V Francesco Fariolis Nice. TNT 14:00. “The Speakmanico”.

Odd one this; the French league is awful but the majority would rather trust Still over someone such as heckingbottom- why??

I watched their game against Lyon. No idea if it was typical of his brand of football but if it is and Still served that up here he wouldn't last long.

Odd one this; the French league is awful but the majority would rather trust Still over someone such as heckingbottom- why??

Ligue 1 is a million times better than the Championship by the way.

The Championship is largely a shower of shite that is overrated in terms of standard just because it's so competitive.

They seem to have dropped off the pace, only one win in about 7 or something. Mostly defeats. Is it Jim Radcliffe/Ineos that owns them? Have they backed Fariolli with a decent budget? Appreciate you may not know this, one for the wider smb mebees
Don’t keep up with the French league but saw that Ramsey, Barkley and Schmeichel all left over the summer all of whom I’d imagine were on canny money by non-PSG Ligue 1 standards.

Don’t keep up with the French league but saw that Ramsey, Barkley and Schmeichel all left over the summer all of whom I’d imagine were on canny money by non-PSG Ligue 1 standards.
Bloody hell. Didn't even know they had all gone there. Didn't know where they were TBH. Expected to see their missing faces on milk bottles in the hope to find them like they do in America

I was all up for Still. Young, interesting, new ways of thinking, diverse (ginger and Belgian).
However, having watched his brand of football it is very Mourinho-esque. Probably effective and wont lose many games, but dull AF. He lost a lot of players during the Africa CON but they have returned and Reims are still average.

I was all up for Still. Young, interesting, new ways of thinking, diverse (ginger and Belgian).
However, having watched his brand of football it is very Mourinho-esque. Probably effective and wont lose many games, but dull AF. He lost a lot of players during the Africa CON but they have returned and Reims are still average.

They are currently 7th in Ligue 1 and if they stay there, it would be their second highest finish since 1975.

Average is definitely doing Still and Reims a disservice and relative to the Championship, they are lightyears away from being average.

I'd be inclined to agree. He's very pragmatic in his approach, I've said before but he's more Alex Neil than Tony Mowbray (in his first season here). In his defence, he is bemoaning the sale of Matusiwa and saying it means he has had to change his set up and approach to games as all the midfield balance has gone.

If average is putting out and organising a team who drew 2-2 away at PSG a couple of weeks ago and by all accounts should have won then I'm all for it.

This is quite interesting, they had a lot of access:

Even here in a home game against a team in the relegation zone who'd lost their last 4 he talks about setting up defensively.

Some stats...
When he took over at Reims in 'the summer '22 they had been averaging 1.21 ppg and finished 12th.
Last season they got 1.34 and finished 11th
They are currently averaging 1.43 and lie 7th.
It's not a stellar record, but he's young and gaining experience. Fits the model then!
Any young foreign player or coach is probably going to struggle in the Championship, but I think Kyril likes him, so I hope he will back him if he comes. They both know French football fairly well, so we might see some more players from there, as well as Will's bro' as assistant.
Personally I'm not fully convinced, but the alternative of Heckingbottom or the likes is a depressing thought.

Because Heckingbottom has only once achieved a win rate above 40% (needed for promotion) in his career and that was with a squad that had an overwhelming advantage on others. Not encouraging. If the club claim to be data driven, he can't be the choice.

Still's win rate is better, with relatively weaker teams and hits promotion numbers.

It shouldn't even be a difficult decision between the two given the sort of squad the manager will have to deal with here.

I'd be inclined to agree. He's very pragmatic in his approach, I've said before but he's more Alex Neil than Tony Mowbray (in his first season here). In his defence, he is bemoaning the sale of Matusiwa and saying it means he has had to change his set up and approach to games as all the midfield balance has gone.
Nice’s numbers this season under Farioli seem to suggest that he’s of a similar ilk. Interesting that two of the clubs main targets seem to be play the exact opposite of the sort of football we played at our best under Mowbray last season.

Back