Will Still (managerial suggestion)

Jack Ross - Won Scottish Manager of the Year the season before he joined us. Now a youth development coach less than three and a half years after leaving us.
Phil parkinson - Dropped to non-league football after us, despite managing in the Championship for two seasons prior to us and mostly managing at League One/Championship level.
Martin O'Niell - Joined us after finishing 6th in the Premier League three times on the bounce with Villa. Hasn't managed at club level again, other than at Forest (6 years after us). He was sacked after 19 games in The Championship.
Paolo Di Canio - A promotion, a cup runner up medal, and a 55%+ win percentage at Swindon before us. Hasn't had another job in management since us (over a decade ago), likely never will.
Simon Grayson - Flew down the pyramid after managing us, despite being relatively successful at Leeds and Preston prior to us.
Chris Coleman - Has had jobs at China and Greece since us, shite at both.

Could probably add Micky Beale to the list too. Quite highly rated, rumoured to have Premier League interest around a year before joining us. Would likely be looking at League One (at best) for his next job opportunity if/when he gets one.

As a side, I don't see why Will Still wouldn't see us as a fantastic opportunity as a route into English football though, given our facilities and recognition. Get it right and the sky is the limit.

O'Neill was a dinosaur and past it before he joined us. We didn't ruin him.

Jack Ross - Won Scottish Manager of the Year the season before he joined us. Now a youth development coach less than three and a half years after leaving us.
Phil parkinson - Dropped to non-league football after us, despite managing in the Championship for two seasons prior to us and mostly managing at League One/Championship level.
Martin O'Niell - Joined us after finishing 6th in the Premier League three times on the bounce with Villa. Hasn't managed at club level again, other than at Forest (6 years after us). He was sacked after 19 games in The Championship.
Paolo Di Canio - A promotion, a cup runner up medal, and a 55%+ win percentage at Swindon before us. Hasn't had another job in management since us (over a decade ago), likely never will.
Simon Grayson - Flew down the pyramid after managing us, despite being relatively successful at Leeds and Preston prior to us.
Chris Coleman - Has had jobs at China and Greece since us, shite at both.

Could probably add Micky Beale to the list too. Quite highly rated, rumoured to have Premier League interest around a year before joining us. Would likely be looking at League One (at best) for his next job opportunity if/when he gets one.

As a side, I don't see why Will Still wouldn't see us as a fantastic opportunity as a route into English football though, given our facilities and recognition. Get it right and the sky is the limit.

I have said for a long time that Sunderland is a difficult beast to manage and it needs a strong character like Peter Reid or Big Sam. Names like Ross, Parkinson, Di Canio all did well at lesser teams. Martin O’Neil was unfortunately the wrong time, it was his first job since breaking up the successful double act with Robertson.

I know sometimes the manager just 'fits' the club, but Still's recent form as manager is a little bit worrying.
There isn’t a manager out there that hasn’t had a bad patch. Saying that, I’m not really sure what the great desire is about for this fella. I’ve no idea if he would be a good appointment or not but without the right players and coaching team, it really doesn’t matter who we bring in.

There isn’t a manager out there that hasn’t had a bad patch. Saying that, I’m not really sure what the great desire is about for this fella. I’ve no idea if he would be a good appointment or not but without the right players and coaching team, it really doesn’t matter who we bring in.
Our players are far more capable than they are showing. The next coach needs to be spot on.

Our players are far more capable than they are showing. The next coach needs to be spot on.
I do agree they are underperforming but as has been mentioned a million times already, we are short in crucial areas.
The current coaching team are illustrating their capabilities with abject set ups and style of play.

I do agree they are underperforming but as has been mentioned a million times already, we are short in crucial areas.
The current coaching team are illustrating their capabilities with abject set ups and style of play.
100% agree we need to get more right than the head coach. Players, assistant coach, the lot.

Back