Will Still (managerial suggestion)

Talksport mentioned around an hour ago that West Ham are targeting Tuchel, so think they're setting sights higher than Still.
Tuchel or Potter or Gary ONeil according to the whammer at work.
I think Potter is too much of a risk for a top half PL club mesel as it seems to be the model at Brighton that’s as responsible for their success as the HC is. If I was WHU I’d go for Gary ONeil before either of those two mesel. I could see Potter at Wolves if he’s not taking over from Southgate this summer.
I can’t see WHU going for Still at all. He has got too much to prove. SAFC wad be perfect for him as the owners don’t seem to be look8ng for instant promotion.

With those stats, would we want him?

Taking a team from the division below and getting them mid-table, that is the bigger picture not only the last 10 games.
If someone took Sunderland from the Championship to mid table in the Premier, would you really be moaning because they only won 2 from their last 10? Put there stats up from the previous 50 games if you really want to seriously consider stats.

I can't think of one manager's career we have ruined...not one.

Jack Ross - Won Scottish Manager of the Year the season before he joined us. Now a youth development coach less than three and a half years after leaving us.
Phil parkinson - Dropped to non-league football after us, despite managing in the Championship for two seasons prior to us and mostly managing at League One/Championship level.
Martin O'Niell - Joined us after finishing 6th in the Premier League three times on the bounce with Villa. Hasn't managed at club level again, other than at Forest (6 years after us). He was sacked after 19 games in The Championship.
Paolo Di Canio - A promotion, a cup runner up medal, and a 55%+ win percentage at Swindon before us. Hasn't had another job in management since us (over a decade ago), likely never will.
Simon Grayson - Flew down the pyramid after managing us, despite being relatively successful at Leeds and Preston prior to us.
Chris Coleman - Has had jobs at China and Greece since us, shite at both.

Could probably add Micky Beale to the list too. Quite highly rated, rumoured to have Premier League interest around a year before joining us. Would likely be looking at League One (at best) for his next job opportunity if/when he gets one.

As a side, I don't see why Will Still wouldn't see us as a fantastic opportunity as a route into English football though, given our facilities and recognition. Get it right and the sky is the limit.

Last edited:
Jack Ross - Won Scottish Manager of the Year the season before he joined us. Now a youth development coach less than three and a half years after leaving us.
Phil parkinson - Dropped to non-league football after us, despite managing in the Championship for two seasons prior to us and mostly managing at League One/Championship level.
Martin O'Niell - Joined us after finishing 6th in the Premier League three times on the bounce with Villa. Hasn't managed at club level again, other than at Forest (6 years after us). He was sacked after 19 games in The Championship.
Paolo Di Canio - A promotion, a cup runner up medal, and a 55%+ win percentage at Swindon before us. Hasn't had another job in management since us (over a decade ago), likely never will.
Simon Grayson - Flew down the pyramid after managing us, despite being relatively successful at Leeds and Preston prior to us.

Could probably add Micky Beale to the list too. Quite highly rated, rumoured to have Premier League interest around a year before joining us. Would likely be looking at League One (at best) for his next job opportunity if/when he gets one.

As a side, I don't see why Will Still wouldn't see us as a fantastic opportunity as a route into English football though, given our facilities and recognition. Get it right and the sky is the limit.
Some absolute straw clutching with that mind. Jack Ross went on to manage a team playing in Europe after leaving us, what happened the best part of 4 years later is nothing to do with his time here. Parkinson is back at L1 level after taking a job on good money at Wrexham.

Beale as well, linked with PL the year before joining us, ignoring him being poor in Scotland. Can't be arsed going through them all.

Some absolute straw clutching with that mind. Jack Ross went on to manage a team playing in Europe after leaving us, what happened the best part of 4 years later is nothing to do with his time here. Parkinson is back at L1 level after taking a job on good money at Wrexham.

Beale as well, linked with PL the year before joining us, ignoring him being poor in Scotland. Can't be arsed going through them all.

It's not straw clutching, it's a fact. If that's the case then it's pointless talking about it. Give me any manager that has ruined his career at any club?

Going by those restrictions to what 'ruining a career' means, or how to measure it: No manager will have been perfect prior to joining a club, and failed at a club, and dropped off instantly after leaving, and didn't do well after leaving. Good luck finding one.

It's not straw clutching, it's a fact. If that's the case then it's pointless talking about it. Give me any manager that has ruined his career at any club?

Going by those restrictions to what 'ruining a career' means, or how to measure it: No manager will have been perfect prior to joining a club, and failed at a club, and dropped off instantly after leaving, and didn't do well after leaving. Good luck finding one.
It isn't fact it's literally your opinion. Jack Ross did not ruin his career by being the manager of Sunderland. We did not ruin Di Canio's career, he ruined it himself by being a nutter.

Taking a team from the division below and getting them mid-table, that is the bigger picture not only the last 10 games.
If someone took Sunderland from the Championship to mid table in the Premier, would you really be moaning because they only won 2 from their last 10? Put there stats up from the previous 50 games if you really want to seriously consider stats.
I know, I was replying to another poster. It was not meant to be taken in the context that it looked.

It isn't fact it's literally your opinion. Jack Ross did not ruin his career by being the manager of Sunderland. We did not ruin Di Canio's career, he ruined it himself by being a nutter.

How would you measure it then? What manager/club would you point at when giving an example of a manager joinign club and ruining their career? Or is it a non-existant concept?

'We' as a club haven't 'ruined' anyone of those. Don't see why you have highlighted them. Is it all the club's fault that some haven't worked again? ...don't think so.

'We' as a club haven't 'ruined' anyone of those. Don't see why you have highlighted them. Is it all the club's fault that some haven't worked again? ...don't think so.

So who's fault was it? Their own? If that's the case has any club ever ruined any manager or player? If not, what's the point in bringing it up?

They were all much more successful prior to us, than after us. SAFC are the common factor between them all in that phase.

So who's fault was it? Their own? If that's the case has any club ever ruined any manager or player? If not, what's the point in bringing it up?

They were all much more successful prior to us, than after us. SAFC are the common factor between them all in that phase.

😂

I could name dozens of clubs whose managers haven’t went onto better things after they had been sacked.

Mags for one…
Boro (excluding Southgate)
Leeds…
Sheff wed
Sheff utd
Huddersfield
Norwich
…..

Most managers have a sideways trajectory before the merry go round of jobs run out

😂

I could name dozens of clubs whose managers haven’t went onto better things after they had been sacked.

Mags for one…
Boro (excluding Southgate)
Leeds…
Sheff wed
Sheff utd
Huddersfield
Norwich
…..

Most managers have a sideways trajectory before the merry go round of jobs run out

Right, same. That's my point.

But given these parameters that are being put on place on SAFC managers, apparently not so.

This for me demonstrates how many poor appointments we have made rather than careers ruined

Eh? I didn't bring anything up, i replied to someone saying we had ruined managers as a club. How on earth have we ruined them? Stop talking shite.

Back