Will Still interview in the Athletic

What is it about the current model that makes you sure of that?
Speakman isn't going to relinquish/dilute his power, which he would have to do.

Will Still isn't going to come and work with Dodds and Proctor, he'll want his own staff. That would mean either sacking D&P (not happening) or giving them other reponsibilities within the club, which would require paying extra wages for Still's coaching staff.

He'll get better offers than SAFC with more flexible setups. I just can't see him coming here until KLD sees the light.
My worry is if things don't go well we're going to lose a good coach.
Is he that good? Genuine question.

Last edited:
This forum is so weird
Any other fanbase suggests we couldn't get decent manger it player in "grrr how dare you we're sunlun we're massive fuck u"
When there's a rumour someone actually decent could come in
"nah not true speakman sells our players for penny's and we're shit"

Will Still isn't going to come and work with Dodds and Proctor, he'll want his own staff. That would mean either sacking D&P (not happening) or giving them other reponsibilities within the club, which would require paying extra wages for Still's coaching staff.

He'll get better offers than SAFC with more flexible setups. I just can't see him coming here until KLD sees the light.

He seems well regarded by those that have worked with him, players and coaches.

I think he's been an important part to our recent success. Stoke wanted to take him once they realised

Sorry mate but this is a load of bollocks, West Brom 9th and 10th now floating around the playoffs, Hull 19th,15th now having a good season. In comparison we were promoted in 21/22 and 6th in 22/23 so what makes either of those teams more ambitious than us?
Cos they’ve got loads of debt and are gambling their futures.

He seems well regarded by those that have worked with him, players and coaches.
We're shite at set pieces & corners, though. Dodgy defending them as well.
Shots on goal miles wide/over the bar/straight at the goalkeeper.

I've never seen a training session, do we even work on these problems, I wonder?
This forum is so weird
Any other fanbase suggests we couldn't get decent manger it player in "grrr how dare you we're sunlun we're massive fuck u"
When there's a rumour someone actually decent could come in
"nah not true speakman sells our players for penny's and we're shit"
It's cos it consists of loads of different people posting different opinions, mate. ;)
A manager / coach that can change things in game you say? 😳
Beale showed how well he could do that v Birmingham, mind.

Last edited:
Aye, it’s almost like we never finished in the playoffs last season after a good strong end to the league campaign and, you know, nearly got promoted. I get that this season has been underwhelming compared to last season but the negativity seems way over the top imo. We could, still, as unlikely as it may be, get into the playoffs again this season, and then depending on our managerial and playing recruitment goes make a good stab of promotion again next season. In the last couple of years we have been promoted and then finished in the playoffs, but reading this place you’d think we’d stifled and sat between 17th and 11th in the Championship for years and years.
It’s unbelievable the negativity on here mind.

We're shite at set pieces & corners, though. Dodgy defending them as well.
Shots on goal miles wide/over the bar/straight at the goalkeeper.

I've never seen a training session, do we even work on these problems, I wonder?
I always understood him to be more of a development coach. I know the mood on here will lead to loads saying that we haven't developed any players, they're all shite etc but I think loads have/are improving in their time at the club. How much that is down to Dodds or otherwise, I have no idea though.

Would be an ambitious appointment and he was my number 1 choice when Mowbray left. But I've no faith at the moment in the board so no idea who we'll end up with.

I think people need to forget about Will Still, there's not a chance in hell he's coming here under the current model.

I think the opposite, the ‘model’ 70% works, needs some flexibility and if they do that then I can see it being workable and successful.
Speakshyte and KLD need to grow some balls and accept it’s not working and some capital needed on some experience.
I think he’s was No1 after the chocolate man left but the compo was too much, hence why we go back in the summer.

Still would likely only bring in his brother as number 2. And the setup he currently works under is quite similar to what we have.

If he doesn’t come here I think it would only be for a prem team and I can’t see any of them gambling on him yet

I think the opposite, the ‘model’ 70% works, needs some flexibility and if they do that then I can see it being workable and successful.
Speakshyte and KLD need to grow some balls and accept it’s not working and some capital needed on some experience.
I think he’s was No1 after the chocolate man left but the compo was too much, hence why we go back in the summer.
I don't think we have opposing views, mate.
I'm saying that right now, he wouldn't work out here. Obviously if the club relax the model, that could all change.

I'm not sure if he'd be any good here, though. I don't want a manager who gets 'itchy feet' after a couple of years either!

Which players have we “had to sell”?

Complete myth. We got a fortune for a crock and yet still people go on about them selling all of our players.
Thats semantic spin mate..fiscally we are running a tight ship so in financial terms we do not have to sell so yes broadly you are right but there is more to it than that as you well know!we will sell our players when they are at the peak of their value and our contracts with individual players reflect that and the sale will be independent of the football thats for sure! so yes the we have to sell statement is sorta right as we will sell at their peak value and that sale will be independent of the effect on the team,,,we are run by accountants after all!

Last edited:
Aye, but who the f#ck is Dodds to be telling his superiors that he's happy to f#ck about as assistant and let the head coach take all the blame? I've never known it in football tbh.

Think it's pretty clear that he's here as long as Speakman is.
No chance

Dodds - "yeah I'll take the managers job permanently"

Fails at it

Speakman - "there you go Mike, it hasn't worked out but you can have your old job back"

Next manager fails

SAFC "today we have appointed Mike Dodds as permanent manager"

Fails at it

repeat and rinse

If Dodds takes the managers job then when he fails he is out of SAFC - gone.

So, I’ve just read the article and took away from it the fact that Will Still is fairly straightforward as a talker. I also got from it that he’d endure players being sold from under him. He also has confidence in his ability and seems quite progressive in his approach.

For these reasons, Speakmansy will love him, Drefussy will love him, the players will love him (someone above mentioned in particular the French contingent), and the fans will love him.

Bounjour, William.

What was the break/pay out clause in his contract mate.

Two sides to every story
So basically it's about opinions based on no evidence whatsoever?

The only evidence is that he was given a two and a half years contract, but we should give Speakman the benefit of the doubt that he may have included a clause we know nothing about and that Beale was a stop gap?

Last edited:

Back