Will Still interview in the Athletic

I get horrible Lee Johnson bluffer vibes from him, purely based on all these Athletic pieces.

I've never seen his side kick a ball in my life like.
I watched Nice v Reims around the time we sacked Mowbray.
From what I saw(one match), appointing Still would have been a seamless transition but from reading The Athletic article, with different ideas and a more adaptive approach to formation

Still would represent more of a gamble than Beale. He’s got absolutely no experience of managing in England (bar Preston U14’s) which wouldn’t be a huge red flag in itself but he’s got very little experience as a number 1 full stop.
Every new manager is a risk. I just think this sounds like a good risk. (I never thought Beale did.)

How old is he 30/31? How many people that age manage clubs our size? To be honest he sounds like he has quite a big ego. Not sure i’m keen on him. It would be an interesting appointment I admit that. Would be more exciting than Beale.

How old is he 30/31? How many people that age manage clubs our size? To be honest he sounds like he has quite a big ego. Not sure i’m keen on him. It would be an interesting appointment I admit that. Would be more exciting than Beale.
Im on the fence with him too, current side mid table in a league that except from a few at the top is about championship level

The more I think about it, the more I think the plan was to try and get Still in the summer and Beale was just a stop gap. The fact they’ve got rid of him so quickly suggests the break clause in the contract wasnt that much and the long contract was just a smokescreen. Means Still is allowed to complete the season in France and then the compensation is much less.
What, you think they gave a 2 1/2 year contract to a ‘ stop gap ‘ manager with a low payout break clause, all the while having agreed with Still to join us in the summer?

Dream on…..

What, you think they gave a 2 1/2 year contract to a ‘ stop gap ‘ manager with a low payout break clause, all the while having agreed with Still to join us in the summer?

Dream on…..
No, I think they wanted Still but wouldn’t/couldn’t afford the compensation. Beale came along as a cheap option and they probably thought he’ll do for now. If he does well problem solved, if not we’ll look again in the summer. The speed in which with they got rid of Beale makes me think the 2.5 year contract wasn’t up to much.

Also the logical thing would be to get someone else in before the end of the season so they can evaluate where we are. By waiting to the summer it suggests they are waiting for someone to become available.

Based on one or two interviews, he comes across well - arguably naive. He’s clearly inexperienced, has a lot to learn and his next appointment will probably define his career as an up and coming or otherwise. The risk is as big for him as us.

Would we back him for three years if the first year was poor, I don’t think so…

I like him, but think there must be less risky appointments to be made - depending on whether Speakman somehow manages to keep his job.

Back