Will companies want workers to work at home when covid has disappeared?

Qwerty

Striker
Do you think WFH will become the norm for office workers?
If so will companies offer lower salaries as they'll be equally attractive when commuting costs are taken out?
Will your company prefer to have you where they can see you?
Asking as a mate of mine said if the choice was go back to the office for the same pay or WFH for 3k less, he'd WFH.

If so will companies offer lower salaries as they'll be equally attractive when commuting costs are taken out?
Asking as a mate of mine said if the choice was go back to the office for the same pay or WFH for 3k less, he'd WFH.

Why should they pay less? They'd be saving on office space and utilities

Why do they need to pay you less? They are saving cash not having to pay for office space.

I work from home anyway so this hasn’t been a huge change for me.

Why should they pay less? They'd be saving on office space and utilities
Because they're in business, they'll offer what they think people will work for.
Commuting is a big factor in people accepting jobs
Why do they need to pay you less? They are saving cash not having to pay for office space.

As above, they don't have to pay less but will of they can. I don't mean people currently employed, more new employees.
You would have had to make sure the job was worth taking after factotring in commuting costs and time.
New employees might not have to factor that in.

Last edited:
For a lot of employees (including me) this has been the first time we have worked from home.
My employers already allowed us to work from home for a couple of days a week but I declined saying as I was concerned that if anything went wrong I would be 15 miles from work and have no one to ask.
However, this is now week 8 of working from home and yes a couple of problems happened but they were soon sorted after a couple of calls to IT.
so now I don’t want to go back.

They should be paying more to work from home as their overheads will be reduced.
Commuting overheads are reduced as well.
I was thinking of new employees. For instance if a firm wants to recruit somebody they have to make it worthwhile. Commuting costs won't be a factor in future.

Because they're in business, they'll offer what they think people will work for.
Commuting is a big factor in people accepting jobs

As above, they don't have to pay less but will of they can. I don't mean people currently employed, more new employees.
You would have had to make sure the job was worth taking after factotring in commuting costs and time.
New employees might not have to factor that in.

Will depend on the industry but any employer reducing pay to work from home will find the best staff wont want to work there/join.

I doubt they could get away with paying new employees less than existing ones either.

Commuting overheads are reduced as well.
I was thinking of new employees. For instance if a firm wants to recruit somebody they have to make it worthwhile. Commuting costs won't be a factor in future.

Commuting costs aren’t a huge factor in deciding pay, more what competitors are paying their staff.

Commuting costs can vary wildly from person to person.

Last edited:
I worked from home for 3 days a week before this kicked off and only went in the other 2 days to see people and have a bit crack on.

Doubt anything will change for me once we’re through this as my team are based all over so I don’t need to be in the office to see specific people - it’s all Teams based or travel for face to face.

Commuting costs aren’t a huge factor in deciding pay.
It is in accepting a job. For instance if you have a firm based in London and the person you want to fill a vacancy lives 40 miles away. The package you offer them had to make the commute worthwhile.WFH factors the.commute out.

It is in accepting a job. For instance if you have a firm based in London and the person you want to fill a vacancy lives 40 miles away. The package you offer them had to make the commute worthwhile.WFH factors the.commute out.

Exactly. I live about 40 miles away from London and have considered working there and, although the salary increase would normally more than cover the cost of the commute, the hassle involved in travelling put me off.

But if jobs come up in the future where I can work from home most days I’d happily take a wage lower than they currently offer.

Hypothetical question, say your company insisted you work from the office after this.
Another company offers you the same job, same security, pension and other benefits but 2k less but said you would work from home.
Which would you do?
Exactly. I live about 40 miles away from London and have considered working there and, although the salary increase would normally more than cover the cost of the commute, the hassle involved in travelling put me off.

But if jobs come up in the future where I can work from home most days I’d happily take a wage lower than they currently offer.
Commuting is a huge factor in recruiting.

Last edited:

That is a factor for the individual, if you’re good at your job and the company want you they won’t offer you less based on commuting costs. If you’re not that good they’ll offer you less based on your ability, not commuting costs.

A company won’t be checking the season ticket cost for the individual.

Companies use benchmarking data from competitors when setting salaries, pension, bonus etc.

Back