Wickets to be renamed 'outs' for The Hundred

Did they ask you what time you'd like the match to start?😀
I fully expect the next call to offer me an Uber.
Faf du Plessis joins the Hundred along with a number of other superstars including Shafali Verma, Shabnim Ishmail and Wahab Riaz.

'Superstars' is pushing it a bit, and they spelled Shabnim's surname wrong.

Last edited:
I fully expect the next call to offer me an Uber.
Faf du Plessis joins the Hundred along with a number of other superstars including Shafali Verma, Shabnim Ishmail and Wahab Riaz.

'Superstars' is pushing it a bit, and they spelled Shabnim's surname wrong.
No, they aren't players they've been employed as stewards.

I've had Old Trafford on offering me two for one tickets for the opening home game, with free tickets for the next game.

So buy one, get four.

Still no.

They’ll have known this from the start TBF. Plastic franchises with no identity, it’s always going to be a hard sell at first. You and other county diehards will never buy it but I think there’s a big market who will, in time.

They’ll have known this from the start TBF. Plastic franchises with no identity, it’s always going to be a hard sell at first. You and other county diehards will never buy it but I think there’s a big market who will, in time.
Might have been easier to convince the North East cricket fans if there was at least one game up here .🤔

Nah, I'm sorry like but I don't think there is.

I think it's a lot to do with class and the North/South divide, but I feel in this country people feel very strongly about their area and cities.

Your county die hard will never buy it, and cricket isn't mainstream popular enough for just Manchester or Birmingham alone to support a franchise. As has been said, if you're a Lancashire member from Liverpool or Crewe, you're never gonna support a Manchester side (and don't say they support Man Utd in football - that's an old, established, successful brand rather than a new side starting up).

I really can't see this lasting

Nah, I'm sorry like but I don't think there is.

I think it's a lot to do with class and the North/South divide, but I feel in this country people feel very strongly about their area and cities.

Your county die hard will never buy it, and cricket isn't mainstream popular enough for just Manchester or Birmingham alone to support a franchise. As has been said, if you're a Lancashire member from Liverpool or Crewe, you're never gonna support a Manchester side (and don't say they support Man Utd in football - that's an old, established, successful brand rather than a new side starting up).

I really can't see this lasting

IPL franchises had no identity in 2008. They do now (for many).

I’ll judge it in 5 years.

I think I can target the exact point where they lost 'county diehards', it was around the time the ECB told us it wasn't for us.

No, in the same way as no one has evidence that they won’t.

4k in the ground tonight plus 2,100 on a free YouTube stream. It doesn’t have much to beat in terms of numbers.
True but before you commit tens of millions of £s on a venture you need strong evidence that there is an audience for it.

I think the whole problem is the ECB should have franchised T20 in England from the off, but didn't. They've now sold T20 off to Sky but have seen T20 franchised cricket flourish in other countries. As, presumably, they cant tinker with the current model as Sky "own" it they've invented another competition that they can franchise and hopefully cash in on. We are now left in England with a complete balls up of all white ball cricket. Hardly any coverage of T20 on Sky and a weakened 50 over competition. To be fair I think they have the right idea in getting cricket back on to free view TV, instead of behind the Sky pay wall, as this has stifled interest in cricket. However it was the ECB who allowed all formats to be sold off to Sky, so their only trying to rectify the problems they initially caused.

Controversially I hope this new competition "thing" is a massive success as it will then generate a shit load of cash that will be redistributed to the Counties and rekindle interest in cricket as a national summer sport. Of course this situation should never have arose in the first place, but given the ECB's level of incompetence it can only be expected.

I think the whole problem is the ECB should have franchised T20 in England from the off, but didn't. They've now sold T20 off to Sky but have seen T20 franchised cricket flourish in other countries. As, presumably, they cant tinker with the current model as Sky "own" it they've invented another competition that they can franchise and hopefully cash in on. We are now left in England with a complete balls up of all white ball cricket. Hardly any coverage of T20 on Sky and a weakened 50 over competition. To be fair I think they have the right idea in getting cricket back on to free view TV, instead of behind the Sky pay wall, as this has stifled interest in cricket. However it was the ECB who allowed all formats to be sold off to Sky, so their only trying to rectify the problems they initially caused.

Controversially I hope this new competition "thing" is a massive success as it will then generate a shit load of cash that will be redistributed to the Counties and rekindle interest in cricket as a national summer sport. Of course this situation should never have arose in the first place, but given the ECB's level of incompetence it can only be expected.
I still can't get my head around the massive push to become 50 over champions then making it a second XI competition. Joke
Btw the ECB had cash reserves of over £70m prior to launching the 16.4 and they're now potless. So even if they did make some money back for grassroots cricket etc, they've still lost more than they'll earn.

Last edited:
I still hope it fails massively. They could have easily re-enegized the blast, but instead they create a game more confusing than cricket in general. We invented 20/20 and yet 15 years later or so we are trying to recreate a slightly shorter version for no real reason. If people can't get into 40 overs of cricket, then it's not for them and it's not exactly much longer in format. They could have saved loads by better advertising and reworking of the blast with the same aims and outcomes

I still can't get my head around the massive push to become 50 over champions then making it a second XI competition. Joke
Btw the ECB had cash reserves of over £70m prior to launching the 16.4 and they're now potless. So even if they did make some money back for grassroots cricket etc, they've still lost more than they'll earn.
Completely agree. They have completely screwed everything up. This is why I hope this competition works out because if it doesn't the consequences could be really serious.

Back