Wickets to be renamed 'outs' for The Hundred

Completely agree. They have completely screwed everything up. This is why I hope this competition works out because if it doesn't the consequences could be really serious.
Aye, deep down I know you're right. My head knows it has to be a success, but my heart just can't bring myself to. I hope it crashes and burns and everyone can see it for the shitshow it is

I still hope it fails massively. They could have easily re-enegized the blast, but instead they create a game more confusing than cricket in general. We invented 20/20 and yet 15 years later or so we are trying to recreate a slightly shorter version for no real reason. If people can't get into 40 overs of cricket, then it's not for them and it's not exactly much longer in format. They could have saved loads by better advertising and reworking of the blast with the same aims and outcomes
If this competition does completely fail then sadly there is a good chance that County Cricket in this country in its current format will also go under with it. As far as I'm aware T20 cricket cannot be televised on free to view as Sky owns the rights to it therefore the only way to get anything on free to view is by the ECB inventing some alternative competition. And this is it.

Maybe I should've been more succinct. The ECB cannot televise T20 cricket on free to view because of their own incompetence. Therefore they have a created an alternative format.

If this competition does completely fail then sadly there is a good chance that County Cricket in this country in its current format will also go under with it. As far as I'm aware T20 cricket cannot be televised on free to view as Sky owns the rights to it therefore the only way to get anything on free to view is by the ECB inventing some alternative competition. And this is it.

Maybe I should've been more succinct. The ECB cannot televise T20 cricket on free to view because of their own incompetence. Therefore they have a created an alternative format.
Sky have the current contract, but they also have a big chunk of the 100 as well.
It would have been quite easy to have an open conversation, same as they did to allow the England games on terrestrial the past year. There was many ways to rejig it all, but instead sold its soul to a basterdized version of cricket. It isn't going to increase the amount of people playing normal cricket, you'll just have people considering the 100, then think what the fuck is this other game

I still can't get my head around the massive push to become 50 over champions then making it a second XI competition. Joke
Btw the ECB had cash reserves of over £70m prior to launching the 16.4 and they're now potless. So even if they did make some money back for grassroots cricket etc, they've still lost more than they'll earn.

The reserves always fluctuate and there’s a natural peak after an Ashes (and the WC). There was then a pandemic where the ECB did a lot of help for clubs.

So I think that’s a simplistic argument.

The reserves always fluctuate and there’s a natural peak after an Ashes (and the WC). There was then a pandemic where the ECB did a lot of help for clubs.

So I think that’s a simplistic argument.
Reserves do fluctuate,true, and peak after Ashes and India series. However, reserves were severely depleted before the pandemic as a result of spending £10s of millions on promoting a venture on which no realistic research had been carried out regarding appetite for it or it's viability.

Back