Why

I wouldn’t say very well but I would say he’s done well.

Speakman and us as a club probably overachieved in 22/23 on and off the pitch. Most of the signings turned out well and performances on the pitch were very good. This season, Speakman’s recruitment has not delivered and results have been patchy. I can accept that not every window is going to be amazing.

It’s the situation around the manager that’s the cloud over his head. Speaking to that fella last summer after Mowbray had taken us to the play-offs, sacking Mowbray, appointing Beale and then leaving Dodds as an interim for the rest of the season has been disastrous.

I quite agree.

The manager situation is galling, a terrible sequence of events that throw into question every process from here on out, it's that bad imo that we had a coach for two months, to compound by saying we've given up and appointing a caretaker is staggering also. But then, we are not entirely sure if there was outside interference, I doubt it would be the first time.

However, Is it enough to rip up plans and steer away from a chap who has taken us from having no assets to having many? Not at all. I understand that being your opinion if you look at a season by itself, not if you look long term.

He's getting the blame for players getting injured now ffs.

Hate to say it but it is somewhat built into the strategy of buying young players who won't progress at current clubs or want a first-team opportunity now. Niall Huggins is a decent example, and Cirkin also.

As has been said, Triantis would be playing at the weekend, it's his choices in coach and remit that deemed he wasn't getting a look in here and best served to leave.

Are the facilities correct and do we train properly as seem to have had a horrific time of it the last 3? years. Allowing Aji to play in the playoffs appears a horrible decision.

If he has autonomy then the buck stops with him, outside of budget of course, if you look at the last three years and find fault or praise for him is a personal preference I guess.

I'd imagine Harvey is under directions to find the best youngsters. The problem will be that when it comes to recruiting these they will be working down a list of who will come in for next to nowt transfer/wage-wise. It'll be the same as the head-coach. They'll have a list, start at the top and end up with someone near the bottom due to cost. They should reduce their due diligence time and just start at the bottom next time.

He's getting the blame for players getting injured now ffs.
You do know he's in charge of football operations, this includes the medical and player conditioning departments.
I'd imagine Harvey is under directions to find the best youngsters. The problem will be that when it comes to recruiting these they will be working down a list of who will come in for next to nowt transfer/wage-wise. It'll be the same as the head-coach. They'll have a list, start at the top and end up with someone near the bottom due to cost. They should reduce their due diligence time and just start at the bottom next time.
We've also not seen Harvey's list. If those signed are top of the list you'd have to look at his future. I'd be surprised if that's the case though. Scouts can watch who they want, and recommend the best they see. It's then on the club to bring them in, I think they're working low down any lists imo.

Last edited:
Everybody has a remit and it comes from the top down. He's the Sporting Director. He directs.

If a film's shit, it's useally the Director who carries the can.
But if the film producer has given the director a budget that means he can't add the fancy CGI or hire the appropriately skilled actors the film is likely to be shit, regardless of how well skilled the director is.

Is speakman getting so much of the blame it's Stuart Harvey scouting the players
Impossible for us to know exactly whose at fault entirely.

I mean some of these kids might turn out good in the end and then the scout has done their job well but the kids shouldn't have been brought in to be first team footballers from the off.

Not sure that's the scouts fault or Speakmans. Is Speakman buying based on talent or does he have pennies to spend and is just trying to maximise the most out of little? In which case it's KLDs issue for being a skinflint.

Or it could be a mix of all of them, only those who actually work with all these will know, we can only speculate.

I don't know what Harvey's brief is, but unlike some people, I feel we have brought in some excellent young technically gifted players. That was evident in the first season back in the Championship and I think is true of players we have brought in since then.

The problem is, not so much the players we have recruited, but the ones that we haven't. We need goalscorers and we need experience to compete at this level. We have sold/released our most experienced players and Ross Stewart and haven't replaced any of them with the kind of players we need.

I might be well wide of the mark, but I suspect if Harvey's brief was changed he could come up with more of the kind of players we are crying out for.

A poor managerial appointment in the summer and another transfer window bringing in no experience and it will get very ugly fast mind. Irrespective of who’s to blame.

Last edited:
Because Speakman is effectively in charge of all of it, and he’s failed spectacularly. The Beale affair has completely ruined him beyond repair.
Is he though?

Did he set the Uber youth team policy that saw us get shot of some of our better players like Bath and Prichard?

He may have failed to bring in a decent striker, and failed to convince LND’s agent to sign a new deal. But I don’t think he is wholly responsible for all of the poor transfer activities and policy

This has already been answered, Harvey will scout and provide a list of players. I doubt he’ll be involved in the transfer itself.

Speakman will be the one to have the say on who we go for based on wages and the transfer fee involved.
Sounds correct
Can’t imagine Harvey scouted Beale.. that ones all on spearman.

Back