Why

…not the case. Still be 40k+ there first home game of next season, regardless of who they sign :lol:
The window wont be shut then though and as usual we'll be hoping against hope that we're driving hard bargains on better players . The trouble will start when the window shuts.
If its not sorted this window the atmosphere will be consistently toxic

Last edited:

I don't know what Harvey's brief is, but unlike some people, I feel we have brought in some excellent young technically gifted players. That was evident in the first season back in the Championship and I think is true of players we have brought in since then.

The problem is, not so much the players we have recruited, but the ones that we haven't. We need goalscorers and we need experience to compete at this level. We have sold/released our most experienced players and Ross Stewart and haven't replaced any of them with the kind of players we need.

I might be well wide of the mark, but I suspect if Harvey's brief was changed he could come up with more of the kind of players we are crying out for.
The biggest successes have been the likes of roberts, Clarke and Ballard who were stagnating at elite English clubs and needed a move to kick on. Even the likes of Alese, Cirkin and ekwah who came from PL academies have had an impact too but the signings from abroad on a whole just haven’t worked out. Hard to tell if that is on the scout or the brief he’s given. There needs to be a relaxation of the youth only aspect we need more like Evans, Batth and Pritchard as in decent frees. God knows how we solve our striker problem though. The lads that went to Coventry show the value that’s out there and at the sums involved it’s still a huge gamble. The Clarke and Stewart money might only give us one shot at a rebuild, mess it up and we could be in for a real struggle.

What we don't know though, is if Harvey recommended that we sign these players or, presented a list of players and Speakman went through it to the ones in 8th or 9th place instead of Harvey's top 3 suggestions?

Unless we know what was discussed as part of this process then we can't really lay the blame beyond the person who is ultimately responsible. I believe Speakman has said he has the final say but has a team around him to provide advice.

Ultimately none of the team involved in recruitment can say they've had a successful last few windows. Some very good buys and signings and some bloody awful ones. We don't have the process nailed yet and need to improve drastically before we can say this model will produce the results.

We can sell 2 players and make 40 million that opens up a whole different market if we are prepared to re invest it , it could see us promoted yes they are gonna be and is flops but we are set to make some major money on the successful ones which hasn’t happened for many years

We can sell 2 players and make 40 million that opens up a whole different market if we are prepared to re invest it , it could see us promoted yes they are gonna be and is flops but we are set to make some major money on the successful ones which hasn’t happened for many years
Struggling to get excited about us selling the couple of good players in a sea of shit.

Everybody has a remit and it comes from the top down. He's the Sporting Director. He directs.

If a film's shit, it's useally the Director who carries the can.
It's normally the executive producers and promoters who do, in fact. A bit similar here as it certainly won't be the Swiss robot hence his refusal to be the real managing director

Hate to say it but it is somewhat built into the strategy of buying young players who won't progress at current clubs or want a first-team opportunity now. Niall Huggins is a decent example, and Cirkin also.

As has been said, Triantis would be playing at the weekend, it's his choices in coach and remit that deemed he wasn't getting a look in here and best served to leave.

Are the facilities correct and do we train properly as seem to have had a horrific time of it the last 3? years. Allowing Aji to play in the playoffs appears a horrible decision.

If he has autonomy then the buck stops with him, outside of budget of course, if you look at the last three years and find fault or praise for him is a personal preference I guess.
Speaking about his appointment, Speakman said: “I have been tasked with delivering a best-in-class player development model from the academy through to the senior squad and given a realistic timeframe and budget with which to do so. It is an absolute honour to have been invited to do this at one of England’s biggest clubs.

“The blueprint for the future and the ambition to create a sustainable structure with a clear identity is one I will work diligently and passionately to bring to fruition for Sunderland fans. I’m grateful for the autonomy granted me by the ownership group to pursue this plan and create something we can all be proud of.

👍

Because Speakman is effectively in charge of all of it, and he’s failed spectacularly. The Beale affair has completely ruined him beyond repair.
But then KLD sets the budget for Speakman to follow where he will pass that down the line to Harvey - No one really knows but we all know that its not good enough by a long stretch

Because Speakman is effectively in charge of all of it, and he’s failed spectacularly. The Beale affair has completely ruined him beyond repair.
Because people seem to have extreme agendas these days. I’m yet to sea any scouting system have a perfect run. Any system who brings in a handful of gems over a couple of seasons would be seen as successful anywhere else and we’ve seen Amad on loan, Clarke, Robert’s, Ballard, Hume and Higgins to name the best ones. They do need to start stepping up the value chain a bit and yes there’s not too many to shout about this year but as much as I hate him, Alex Neil would’ve got far more out of this squad this season.

Our scouting is supposed to be based on a methodology of analysing raw quantitative data. Anyone could do it therefore- you just follow the methodology and then you produce a list of players with certain characteristics within set parameters within the data. Speakman I assume then does the dealing and we move down the list until we find someone who is affordable and willing to come. Basically it's attempting to replicate a top quality scout without having to actually employ one- because the clubs is run by young inexperienced men who have no respect for experience and knowledge. It is an attitude that runs throughout the club and not just regarding player recruitment

Sacking the scout would achieve nothing- you would assume our scouting is either just to collect the data or to confirm things qualitatively by watching a player live.

Changing the methodology so we don't end up with a team of wingers and fullbacks would probably be more helpful. There is a reason our wide player acquisitions tend to be far more successful, and our central players tend to be lightweight (barring Neil and rigg who are academy and Ballard who was a pretty know quantity. Our best striker (qualitatively in terms of goals at least) being more of a wide player is no coincidence.
I would argue the reason that we get better wide players, from my observation, is likely because our methodology focuses on attributes that would make a good winger- and not those of a central player who in my opinion have more responsibilities in a game (why young players get shunted out to the wing) and qualitative qualities like experience and leadership are more important. That wouldn't show up in a quantitative study
Apologies- in this context (not a definition) quantitative are just things that can be counted (percentages etc. Raw data) and qualitative is knowledge and experience based

Last edited:

Back