Why you leaving your current job?

Never burn your bridges - you never know if you have to go back there or work for Mr Wanker in the future.
One of the few occasions where a light coating of corporate bullshit is perfectly acceptable.

I interviewed for the exact same position I am currently in (serving my notice)

Everything went perfectly, except that one question. It’s an identical role with similar benefits. How are you meant to answer that question without saying my current boss is a wanker.

I told them it was on the back of a recommendation for a current employer and I wanted to the new experience.

How are you meant to answer that?
I called them out on my pip review and was terminated next day. Bastards.

Everything went perfectly, except that one question. It’s an identical role with similar benefits. How are you meant to answer that question without saying my current boss is a wanker.

I told them it was on the back of a recommendation for a current employer and I wanted to the new experience.

If you cannot answer it adequately perhaps you are not entirely suitable for that post.

I mean no offence I just offer this as an observation.

If you cannot answer it adequately perhaps you are not entirely suitable for that post.

I mean no offence I just offer this as an observation.
The truth is I f***ing hate my boss. He’s come in and destroyed the team. Production and moral has been destroyed to the point we can’t hold a team together. He thinks throwing money at new hires is the answer, that’s upset the few that stayed, even then, some of the newer hires are quitting.

My answer was, I heard good things about this other company and it seems like it suits my ambition.
I called them out on my pip review and was terminated next day. Bastards.
I received an email from HR asking what the concerns were and why we can’t hold onto staff. I answered it as honestly as I could.
The attitude towards me has changed completely. My boss is fully against me now.

Last edited:

The answer is actually very simple.

You should have said that your current employer doesn’t respect pronouns, hence - here you are.

Most employers go along with wokeism as they’re terrified of being associated with fake bigotry, no matter how stupid everyone knows it is.

One I have successfully used is saying I felt I was in my comfort zone, I was not learning much and feeling my performance might start to suffer. I want to learn about new ways of doing things, have to learn how a new business works, prove myself to new colleagues and hopefully bring some good and useful experience with me.

Why you are leaving is a really negative question and should not be asked. It leads to a negative answer which drags the interview down. So twist it as soon as possible to not what was wrong but what a fresh opportunity can bring to you.

The truth is I f***ing hate my boss. He’s come in and destroyed the team. Production and moral has been destroyed to the point we can’t hold a team together. He thinks throwing money at new hires is the answer, that’s upset the few that stayed, even then, some of the newer hires are quitting.

My answer was, I heard good things about this other company and it seems like it suits my ambition.

I received an email from HR asking what the concerns were and why we can’t hold onto staff. I answered it as honestly as I could.
The attitude towards me has changed completely. My boss is fully against me now.
Boss thinks you're a lazy arsed shit stirrer , just to add a bit balance.

I’m retiring soon so I can’t play.
Although I was asked about 40 years ago at an interview for a trainee planner vacancy at Sunderland Council By a bloke with marbles in his mouth “how far career wise do you want to go” and I said as far as I can go. Marble gob then said “as far as me? And I said well, I can read a book like anyone else.
I didn’t get the job.

Studies have shown that not liking your boss is the #1 reason for changing jobs.

My current boss is great - one of the top 2 or 3 I've ever had - but he's leaving soon after being headhunted (great bosses are always in demand) and I'm not keen on who will be by next manager so I could well be looking for a new job in the next few months.

Back