Why you leaving your current job?

safcforever

Striker
I interviewed for the exact same position I am currently in (serving my notice)

Everything went perfectly, except that one question. It’s an identical role with similar benefits. How are you meant to answer that question without saying my current boss is a wanker.

I told them it was on the back of a recommendation for a current employer and I wanted to the new experience.

How are you meant to answer that?

Everything went perfectly, except that one question. It’s an identical role with similar benefits. How are you meant to answer that question without saying my current boss is a wanker.

I told them it was on the back of a recommendation for a current employer and I wanted to the new experience.

You applied to be Sunderland manager recently?

Ive moved sideways and even backwards (as far as job titles are concerned anyway), been asked similar. I just made some bullshit up about the company and their philosophies aligning with mine etc, after swatting up on them beforehand.

In your position… You could say you’re looking to build new relationships in a fresh environment, to share and gain knowledge with new people etc…

Pretty pointless question and doubt it has any overall significance on whether you get employed or not.

Just state there is no career progression in your current role. Depends on the business type and structure. You could be working for a sole trader for example who will always own the business and there are no higher up positions apart from being a standard worker. All depends on the job you are in.

I did very similar 25 years ago. Luckily my new boss was aware that my old boss was a wanker….(fwiw new boss was the double of Willie Carson. Even the accent)

I actually more or less just said at my last interview that the people I work with were insufferable and I couldn’t stand them. And that I’d prefer to be part of a team who work together, and support each other harmoniously (although to be fair, my job was effectively two roles in one, sat in a structure where my manager was working with an entirely different department in the business and had no idea what I was doing day-to-day, and I got literally no help or support from anyone. So it also wasn’t particularly difficult to tie it in with other de rigeur interview questions about being a team player, what I can bring to the team etc).

A wee dab of speed would be just the ticket

I did very similar 25 years ago. Luckily my new boss was aware that my old boss was a wanker….(fwiw new boss was the double of Willie Carson. Even the accent)
The classy way of saying your boss is a wanker is actually saying that your boss is a strong minded character with a strong vision, and as such that can lead to some tension… then make something up about how their “strong mindedness” got them totally into the shit, but you managed to see the issue and resolve it for them, and even though you still don’t always see eye to eye, your boss massively respects you for it.
Haha why does the OP keep banging on about new jobs
To be fair to the OP, if you want a new job (which he clearly does), a good tip that actually works is: just keep saying you’re going to get as (enter whatever position you want to do) and then people will begin to associate you with the role.

Last edited:

Back