Why were the mags on Auf Wiedersehen Pet supporting the lads?

I think Newcastle United supporters of a certain age back then were a damn sight more mature than supporters of a similar age today - and weren’t half as militant as they are now. They realised the importance of supporting local clubs. Have your rivalry with them by all means when at home but when they are playing against foreign opposition they need you to stick together with them to fly the flag for the region. Put on a united front.
I’ll be honest, I’ll happily put myself into the immature bracket. Like shite will I be supporting the scum in Europe this season. Fuck the ‘region’ and the ‘united front’. Fuck the mags.

I’ll be honest, I’ll happily put myself into the immature bracket. Like shite will I be supporting the scum in Europe this season. Fuck the ‘region’ and the ‘united front’. Fuck the mags.
This x a million. The worlds gone mad if any of our fans support them lot in Europe and I don’t care how immature that makes me. I hope they fail miserably.

Last edited:
Neville supported the mags.

So did Oz but he went on the drink with Brendan Healy who was in The East Side Torpedos

Bomber was not into football but liked Yana - nee idea

Denis was a misery and didn’t like anything

Barry was a radish who showed no affiliation to any team

Wayne was labelled “Spurs” by Oz but was not into football.

Moxy liked …….fires.
Apart from the Wolverhampton and District Table Tennis Lesgue.

Always struck me as odd, but I reckon the further away from home you are, the less local rivalry’s matter.

In Germany, Oz is more interested in defending Britain against the “bastards that bombed me granny”.

Either way, the highlight of an away game for Oz is smashing up a Little Chef on the way home so the the match is not really relevant.

You would happily be classed as immature? You are certainly proving how immature you are saying you would happily put yourself in the immature bracket. I am utterly speechless and dumbstruck at that you could write that first sentence.

The rest proves my point perfectly so kudos for being the first forum member to prove that I am right on something. That was then. The tribalism is, as you proved, much much worse today than it was back then. It goes so far people are willing to say “fuck the region” because it has gotten so bad they have become so insular and only care and are interested in what happens in their own town or city and don’t give a stuff what happens elsewhere.

I don’t want them to even win a pre-season friendly I detest them that much. Don’t think I care any more about them than what you do. But I draw the line at extending that dislike and hatred to a regional level where it encompasses the whole NE.

I think Newcastle United supporters of a certain age back then were a damn sight more mature than supporters of a similar age today - and weren’t half as militant as they are now. They realised the importance of supporting local clubs. Have your rivalry with them by all means when at home but when they are playing against foreign opposition they need you to stick together with them to fly the flag for the region. Put on a united front.
Similar to Why are Mackems watch a program full of jawdies?
Entertaining i guesss

You would happily be classed as immature? You are certainly proving how immature you are saying you would happily put yourself in the immature bracket. I am utterly speechless and dumbstruck at that you could write that first sentence.

The rest proves my point perfectly so kudos for being the first forum member to prove that I am right on something. That was then. The tribalism is, as you proved, much much worse today than it was back then. It goes so far people are willing to say “fuck the region” because it has gotten so bad they have become so insular and only care and are interested in what happens in their own town or city and don’t give a stuff what happens elsewhere.

I don’t want them to even win a pre-season friendly I detest them that much. Don’t think I care any more about them than what you do. But I draw the line at extending that dislike and hatred to a regional level where it encompasses the whole NE.
For clarity, when I say “fuck the region” that’s more of a reaction to all of the people suggesting that a successful mags side would be good for the region.

Of course I care about the north east.

Neville supported the mags.

So did Oz but he went on the drink with Brendan Healy who was in The East Side Torpedos

Bomber was not into football but liked Yana - nee idea

Denis was a misery and didn’t like anything

Barry was a radish who showed no affiliation to any team

Wayne was labelled “Spurs” by Oz but was not into football.

Moxy liked …….fires.
He did ask "How did Hammers get on?" when Barry brought back the Scottish editions of the Sunday papers and referenced his mates being Hammers hoolies when he was on a date with the Doctor's receptionist "hence the violence at West Ham" he said iirc. So a nominal Hammer (as he should be born in Whitechapel).

Same episode Oz told Moxey "Pool won again, there's nee stopping them" so presumably he was a nominal Red.

Second series (I think) Barry mentioned going out with a girl only cos her Dad had a ST for Wolves.

He did ask "How did Hammers get on?" when Barry brought back the Scottish editions of the Sunday papers and referenced his mates being Hammers hoolies when he was on a date with the Doctor's receptionist "hence the violence at West Ham" he said iirc. So a nominal Hammer (as he should be born in Whitechapel).

Same episode Oz told Moxey "Pool won again, there's nee stopping them" so presumably he was a nominal Red.

Second series (I think) Barry mentioned going out with a girl only cos her Dad had a ST for Wolves.
Oz had a Sunderland sticker on the rear window of the Zephyr in episode One. But when questioned by Denis he said he didn’t support Sunderland but the lad he got the car off did.

Loved that episode. Neville trying to get the match on the radio, eventually succeeding, and then at full time finding out he'd been listening to the foreign commentary of another game.

Lad on plane waking Oz up and asking for a whip round for the driver.
Oz - Driver?
Lad - Well he's the pilot but.....
Oz - PILOT!

Exactly why I question this whole modern rivalry in the first place :lol:

was only 40 years ago and Oz made Sunderland jabs in the in newer ones, that right there is concrete proof of it not being this bad before ;)

Back