Why were the mags on Auf Wiedersehen Pet supporting the lads?

Probably a sign of the times. No footy on TV everyday at the time, people more into supporting local area clubs. My grandad used to support all the North East Clubs, remember that as a kid.

Later series and it rights iteslwf as he's like a plastic mag with all the memorabilia and hating Sunderland.

I think Newcastle United supporters of a certain age back then were a damn sight more mature than supporters of a similar age today - and weren’t half as militant as they are now. They realised the importance of supporting local clubs. Have your rivalry with them by all means when at home but when they are playing against foreign opposition they need you to stick together with them to fly the flag for the region. Put on a united front.

I bloody loved that show, I think everybody did though tbh.
I think Newcastle United supporters of a certain age back then were a damn sight more mature than supporters of a similar age today - and weren’t half as militant as they are now. They realised the importance of supporting local clubs. Have your rivalry with them by all means when at home but when they are playing against foreign opposition they need you to stick together with them to fly the flag for the region. Put on a united front.
Good post my love, well explained xx

So will you be supporting the mags in the champions league next year? Because I definitely won't be.

I have fond memories of TY McGurk knocking out Athletic Club shirts for a tenner when Blibao put them out of the UEFA cup in the 90s, and a fair few of them knocking about the town at the time.

Neville supported the mags.

So did Oz but he went on the drink with Brendan Healy who was in The East Side Torpedos

Bomber was not into football but liked Yana - nee idea

Denis was a misery and didn’t like anything

Barry was a radish who showed no affiliation to any team

Wayne was labelled “Spurs” by Oz but was not into football.

Moxy liked …….fires.

there wasnt any football pre-premier league... the arrival of keegan\hall changed the geordie nation.
True imo.
A prominent, former SAFC board member, once said that the relationship at boardroom level, between Sunderland and Newcastle used to be a respectful & harmonious relationship.
All that changed much for the worse, with the arrival/emergence of Hall, and that once harmonious relationship has never really been in evidence since the time of his tenure at SJP.

True imo.
A prominent, former SAFC board member, once said that the relationship at boardroom level, between Sunderland and Newcastle used to be a respectful & harmonious relationship.
All that changed much for the worse, with the arrival/emergence of Hall, and that once harmonious relationship has never really been in evidence since the time of his tenure at SJP.
In my view Hall had no class. He was a scruff who made a few quid but failed to deliver. His son was no better. I’m no Shearer fan but his behaviour towards their best player was lacking any form of class

In my view Hall had no class. He was a scruff who made a few quid but failed to deliver. His son was no better. I’m no Shearer fan but his behaviour towards their best player was lacking any form of class
Agreed, no class whatsoever.
They ought to have been run out of Newcastle.

I remember a 1998 News of The Screws 'scoop' with damning video footage of Douglas Hall and Freddie Shepherd, taking the piss out of their star striker and calling female fans of their club, dogs.

Neville supported the mags.

So did Oz but he went on the drink with Brendan Healy who was in The East Side Torpedos

Bomber was not into football but liked Yana - nee idea

Denis was a misery and didn’t like anything

Barry was a radish who showed no affiliation to any team

Wayne was labelled “Spurs” by Oz but was not into football.

Moxy liked …….fires.

Bomber said he was a Bristol City fan in the first series but had a Bristol Rovers shirt on in the third iirc

Back