Why do England not fulfill their promise?

The answer is that it is very difficult to win a World Cup or euros and you need talent plus a lot of things to fall right during the tournament.

And in the main, we’ve just come up against really good teams who were probably better set up and more equipped to block out the noise than we were.

We had good players under Hoddle & Eriksson but game up against really good teams in Brazil, Portugal, Argentina etc.

We’ve had a couple of horror show but I’m not sure we’ve really underperformed that much.

English sport in the round has a problem with game Intelligence and management. Knowing when to speed up the game, when to slow it down, when to be disruptive etc.

Its not a quality which is respected or understood in the country really, but it tends to mean if we're shell shocked or fall behind early we don't rally, or if the game is tight we don't know how to wrestle and come out on top.

For me we have an abundance of talent for the 1st time since Beckham Scholes etc, manager is a tactical dinasaur,
in my opinion we should beaten Croatia to reach last world Cup final, not saying we would have won it but the Italians in euros??? We should have wiped the floor with them as they really aren't/weren't worthy champions,

Southgate is not a good manager but has a very good relationship with the current group of players.

It was so obvious on Monday that Maguire and Sterling should not be in the team but Southgate is too stubborn or inept to see it

The problem with the English players is that they play in the premier league, one of the top league's in the world, but a league that is dominated by very talented overseas players which is what makes it one of the best leagues, The English players assume that as they are playing in the best league that they are the best and they truly aren't, couple that with Southgates ponderous formation's and slow build up play exposes England's lack of player quality and Southgates continuing insistence to use players that are shown favouritism when they should not even be in the squad. when young exiting players are sat on the bench and not given the opportunity to show what they can do. southgate needs to be sacked and a younger more dynamic coach brought in to speed things up.
I cannot stand to watch England these days as they are so boring, i million miles away from the pacey fast flowing football shown in the premier league

Back