Why do England not fulfill their promise?

There’s a decent squad in them, but baring Kane, none are “world class”, except maybe Pickford.

Forget who they play their club football for, from back to front they’re all just good players.

Pickford is arguably one of the best keepers in the world and Kane is in the top 5 number 9s in the world.

Everyone else is okay. Foden was massively hyped as the second coming of David Silva, but he’s not fit to lace even Bernardo’s boots. Sterling is wasteful. Rice is the most overhyped player in world football. Maguire is shite. We don’t have any flair players and couple that with the most negative manager in the world, it’s hardly surprising.

We overachieved in the last 2 tournaments and that has warped peoples perspective. We’ll go back to being a first round knock out team at the World Cup.

I’d agree that England teams are always over hyped by the English press. So we actually likely perform in line with talent.

Foden, on the other hand, I’d have to massively disagree with. He’s absolutely top class.

We have a lot of good attacking midfielders but no great ones. I’ve yet to see any of them run the show. Sterling seems to be the only one that dies anything creative and even he’s been poor since the Euros.

Both England and Southgate are more comfortable with a back 5 - at this level matches between top teams are often won by the slimmest margins

Rice may not curry your favour, but I would include him on any plate.
*kermitwanking.gif*
Players are overhyped absolutely.
Defense though is not international class and means tactics have to be defensive minded.
I don’t actually agree here. All these players are first teamers in the best league in the world. They must be very good. It was pointed out on another thread, but no international team - barring deLigt & van Dijk for the Netherlands - has two players from top teams. They’re all playing with one top table (Stones) and one top/mid table (Maguire)

Last edited:
Been like it since I was aware, the early 70s.

I'm convinced that part of the reason is the players are not as good as the press/TV would have us believe.

I look on England as a "West Ham/Everton" type in woirld football, whereas France/Spain/Germany are the Man Citys/Liverpool etc.

Looking at the side we put out on Friday we should be doing a lot better. The mystery is for what tactical reasons do we underperform so much?

One could argue that are players are over-hyped, but even if that may be so to a certain extent, they are still excellent players. The forward line we put out would have been Pep's dream a year ago and Rice and Bellingham are fantastic players.

The root of the problem as I see it is that Southgate doesn't trust his defenders ( neither do we 100%) and given his conservative nature he errs too far on the side of caution. Also his excessive loyalty to certain players leads him to continue with the unfortunate Harry Maguire.

For me Saka should start on the right and a combination of Grealish or Sterling on the left in attack. Foden has to be the number 10 - in an Iniesta role and all the midfielders have have the liberty to move up front when Kane drops deep.

The difficulty is in defence. I would go James, Stones, Diet and Chilwell.

Above all, the manager has to instill attacking confidence - far better to draw 3-3 than fail to score in 500 minutes.
We were a couple of penalties away from winning the Euros. Would this be a conversation if they’d gone in?
That’s the nature of knockout football competitions. 32 teams take part, 31 leave being labelled as ‘shite’.

Dunno what our recent form is down to. Hope that helps.

See Italy goal ! He’s a disaster in defence
One game does not make you a bad player. Unfortunately England have used the Nation league like friendlies as I see it Or maybe not. It signal’s to me we are not as good as we should be or we as England have lost our window of greatness. Can this team switch the switch in the World Cup I am going to say we will be out last 16 or Quarters.

Looking at the side we put out on Friday we should be doing a lot better. The mystery is for what tactical reasons do we underperform so much?

One could argue that are players are over-hyped, but even if that may be so to a certain extent, they are still excellent players. The forward line we put out would have been Pep's dream a year ago and Rice and Bellingham are fantastic players.

The root of the problem as I see it is that Southgate doesn't trust his defenders ( neither do we 100%) and given his conservative nature he errs too far on the side of caution. Also his excessive loyalty to certain players leads him to continue with the unfortunate Harry Maguire.

For me Saka should start on the right and a combination of Grealish or Sterling on the left in attack. Foden has to be the number 10 - in an Iniesta role and all the midfielders have have the liberty to move up front when Kane drops deep.

The difficulty is in defence. I would go James, Stones, Diet and Chilwell.

Above all, the manager has to instill attacking confidence - far better to draw 3-3 than fail to score in 500 minutes.
It’s the manager that pics the defenders try something else you never know it might work !!! He’s got gueye who’s left footed and rapid and Timori who can also play as a right back and is quick so would be ideal them two either side of stones in a back 3 , he could also play Reece James as the right sided centre back and Alexander Arnold as right wingback, try 3412 get Abraham or Toney upfront with kane and get Trent hoying some crosses over with foden in behind them with rice and Bellingham central. It’s f***ing bollocks that we haven’t got options man he’s been to loyal to certain players , he’s f***ing useless he’s got no balls to make big decisions as he wants to be the mr nice guy everyone’s mate

Back