Why are digital copies more expensive than physical?

Status
Not open for further replies.

I just preordered Red Dead 2, which is the first time I've preordered a game probably in a decade.

It was 749kr for a digital download, in comparison to 549 for a physical copy. In English money thats give or take £15 cheaper to actually get a disc.

Why is this?

I remember when Digital downloads were first mooted in the press years ago and everyone obviously thought the games were going to be a lot cheaper as the games manufacturers / distributors would be saving a ton of money on all the physical disks, packaging etc. However the industry had different ideas and realised that if they flipped it round it would be easier to make money out of people who wanted the game instantly / on-demand. Very annoying.

I remember when Digital downloads were first mooted in the press years ago and everyone obviously thought the games were going to be a lot cheaper as the games manufacturers / distributors would be saving a ton of money on all the physical disks, packaging etc. However the industry had different ideas and realised that if they flipped it round it would be easier to make money out of people who wanted the game instantly / on-demand. Very annoying.
It’ll be worse when physical copies cease to exist and they’ve got us over a barrel and we have to pay whatever they decide to charge. The brave new world has been hijacked by greedy capitalist bastards.

They'll fuck themselves over at some stage like the music industry did through pure greed. Watching The Defiant Ones on Netflix recently and the head of Island records was recalling the great days when CD's arrived and even though they were cheaper to manufacture than tapes and vinyl they were able to charge more for them as they were "new technology" Well that didnt work out too well for them in the end!

Never buy a game as soon as it comes out.

1- way too expensive. Stick it your Steam watch list and keep an eye out on bundle sites and play something else until it's in a sale or a bundle.

2- in the case of pc games particularly, they won't have got all the bugs out yet. Let others deal with it for a while then buy it once they've ironed out the wrinkles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back