Why are digital copies more expensive than physical?

Discussion in 'Games and games consoles' started by __howdy__, Oct 4, 2018.

1. __howdy__

__howdy__ Winger

I just preordered Red Dead 2, which is the first time I've preordered a game probably in a decade.

It was 749kr for a digital download, in comparison to 549 for a physical copy. In English money thats give or take £15 cheaper to actually get a disc.

Why is this?

2. everstar

everstar Winger

because they can - I think

3. nelford_safc

nelford_safc Striker

It’s called taking advantage of lazy bastards.

conrad and gipetto like this.
  4. __howdy__

__howdy__ Winger

Aye but I'm still a lazy bastard. I ordered it to be mailed to my house.

5. nelford_safc

nelford_safc Striker

I know. Some people can’t be arsed to even do that. Or trade/sell it afterwards.

I agree they should be miles cheaper though.

gipetto and safcforever like this.
  6. Ultimate edition seems to be the same price.

7. Because you can’t snap a digital copy :lol:

Frijj likes this.
  8. UTW

UTW Midfield

Isn't it not an agreement they have with the retail industry? As if the games were cheaper digitally it would pretty much end physical copies.

Never buy digital at full price. The sales are always class though with the minimal overheads.

Some Random Guy and Discopants91 like this.
  9. Roid

Roid Winger

Whee preorders new games? Prices are an absolute piss-take. Wait until the sales and they're at least 25% off.

10. Most likely for midnight download on day of release. No waiting for the postman etc.

Personally I prefer a physical copy as there's resale value.

11. jedi_toaster

jedi_toaster Winger

People who want to play them as soon as they’re released? It’s hardly rocket science is it?

12. Frijj

Frijj Striker

Not even kidding, I bought PES this year on digital download because last year I did snap the disc.

I also went through about two pads.

Digital download was great for me this year and cheaper than the shops. 49.99 on PSN, 54.99 in GAME. I also logged into my PS4 on my phone and told it to download whilst I was at work :cool:

13. Aye when it's cheaper fine but not when it's £15 or more expensive.

14. nelford_safc

nelford_safc Striker

It usually gets worse the older a game gets. Me and @Snappy got a physical copy of Ark for £20 when it was about 1 year old but still £45.99 on the store. We actually made a profit flogging it. Same with 7 days to die.

Frijj likes this.
  15. Lester1979

Lester1979 Winger

I only buy digital nowadays cause I gameshare with my 11 year old and it’s much cheaper than buying two physical copies.

conrad, hypersonic and Westoe SAFC like this.
  16. Westoe SAFC

Westoe SAFC Winger

No brainer when this is your situation.
    All my current games are digital and I wouldn’t have it any other way for the sake of £10/£15.

Lester1979 and Philcore like this.
  17. Philcore

Philcore Winger

Everyone knows GAME charges full rrp. Everywhere else will be selling the same game for £45.

Midnight download? You can normally download it a week or two before launch..

18. safcsteve71

safcsteve71 Central Defender

first year ive bought both fifa and black ops digitally as I also used to buy 2 copies one for me and one for my kids

Lester1979 likes this.
  19. LondonMackem

LondonMackem Winger

I’m considering a digital copy as there’s no way I’m selling RDR2 :lol: prices look the same for the special edition.

shepherd88 likes this.
  20. I'm massively out dated on the way it is now then. Pre download and timed unlock I'm guessing?