Whos the best centre half you have seen for the lads...,

Status
Not open for further replies.

In recent-ish memory -
Jonny Evans oozed class, you could tell he was going to be quality even at such a young age.
John Mensah - superb defender. The amount of times he'd make last ditch tackles and win the ball was top drawer. Just a shame he was made of crisps!

Hurley had moved on to Bolton by the time I saw my first match at Roker Park but we've never been short of a bit of class in that position. Elliott, Bould, Thome and Evans have been mentioned but Dave Watson was the best I've seen. The kingpin in our '73 cup final, Watson was a giant in our defence, solid with thighs as thick as tree trunks but with the amazing ability to jump higher than anybody else and hang in air for 2 or 3 seconds. A defender that could score goals, priceless! Had Dave Watson NOT moved up from defence into attack and scored at Meadow Lane we wouldn't have had the glorious cup run of 1973.

Elliott was class. Bould was very steady. O'Shea vastly underrated by this forum..... BUT Jonny Evans was a Rolls Royce. Shame we allowed WBA to sign him. One the biggest crimes at Man Utd since Fergie's departure, was letting him go. Van Gaal ?

Trying to split the difference between the King and Dave Watson. Its hard.

I await being shot down in flames here but for one season I remember an amazing centre half partnership between the best I've ever seen in Red and White, Dave Watson and a fellow by the name of Moncur - they were brilliant together and dare I say it, Moncur brought Jeff Clarke on leaps and bounds in their season together

Dave Watson, closely followed by Lord Shaun of Haydon Bridge. Then Mensah and others. We've been blessed by great keepers and centre halves. Pity about the quality of chairmen / owners.

Born in 87 and the list is quite depressing from my point of view. Although not consistent and past his best, Wes Brown put in the best individual performances from a centre half I’ve seen at SAFC so I’ll edge for him with honourable mentions to Thome, Mensah and Kaboul.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back