Who remembers the Tanker crash on Newcastle Road in 1992?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was in a my pigeon loft when I seen the smoke,thowt another loft was a bleeze at the back of the Albion so I ran up to see the crack .
Just kept on running and following the smoke until I was Newcastle rd.

I remember still,the intensity of the heat as I ran round the corner and faced the inferno.

I was working at Amec Offshore on the Tyne and could see the smoke from the top of one of the oil rigs,i live just off Newcastle Road and that night they had all the burnt out cars lined up up and numbered along the road,you'd think it was the aftermath of a stock car race.

Worked in the old school yard at the wheatsheaf, didn't hear a thing, knew nowt til going home, everyone else went out to neb, nosey gits.

Was on the number 7 bus next to the grange when it exploded. Felt like the bus got pushed back. Me Mam (no!) Ended up sacking off her shopping trip and we walked back home.

Anyone remember the fire engine turning over at the corner of the at the corner between The Greens and The Empire in the early 90s? Early sunday neeet iirc?

I can remember seeing smoke all the way from high Barnes. Just thought it was the heathen north siders worshipping their fire god again. Either that or burning a south side missionary.

I'll have been 8. Think I was on Sea Road with me Nanna & remember looking up at the smoke. Me Nanna lives on Newcastle Road just up from the baths & when me dad came to to pick me up after work we walked passed to have a look & see what was left. It'd all finished by then like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back