Whisky

As Ceejay says, the contemporary Glendronach annual releases are different beasts to the older ones. They may well see a bump in price soon if the enormous hike in the price of the single cask batch releases is any reflection.

Glenallachie hasn’t proven to be suitable to my palette at all. I bought the Tyndrum Glenallachie tryptych and haven’t really enjoyed any of them. Fortunately the same can’t be said for my wife. I’ve given away or swapped a couple of other bottles and doubt I’ll be buying many more in the future.

For my palette at least Edradour is a better (and cheaper) sherried malt. I also tend to enjoy most stuff from Willowburn in Germany albeit I ignore their PX releases.

Paying more for the brand than the whisky imo. All of their cheaper annual releases are bottled at 40% which compromises the product. Not to mention their use of chill filtration and E150a.
Bingo...even as you move up the price scale they're still often churning them out at 40% and not for nothing are these referred to Dalmore Dye.
Just not for me

Speaking of sherry casks, Springbank release their local barley variant in a few hours which this year is fully matured in sherry hogsheads. Never managed to get hold of any of the local barley releases but gonna give this one a try in the morn.
Tyndrum have a sign up saying sold out before 6am. I'm always a little bit sceptical about who gets access to these bottles when the go on 'sale' on websites

I suppose you've got to have some kind of notion about what time they go on sale haha.

I only looked on the off chance. What time did they put them up?

Bought mine around 5:45. I started doing a quick circuit of online whisky stores around 5:30 and was fortunate to stumble across it. Royal Mile and Nickolls & Perks usually have the bottles online quite early.

Last edited:
On the subject of self blending, infinity bottles etc...a popular one I keep reading about is Bunna 12 and Uigeadail.
Anyone tried this ? Both favourites of mine and I'd imagine not much can go wrong with this blending ?

most common suggestions seem to be 2/3 Bunna to 1/3 Ardbeg

Sold out on Royal Mile in under 2 mins
On the subject of self blending, infinity bottles etc...a popular one I keep reading about is Bunna 12 and Uigeadail.
Anyone tried this ? Both favourites of mine and I'd imagine not much can go wrong with this blending ?

most common suggestions seem to be 2/3 Bunna to 1/3 Ardbeg

More of a blend than an infinity bottle? Can't say I've tried it.

Sold out on Royal Mile in under 2 mins

More of a blend than an infinity bottle? Can't say I've tried it.

Aye certainly not an infinity bottle...got one of them on the go and it's certainly got a lot more than two malts in and god knows what's in it.
Got a few empty 20Cl bottles kicking about so might try blending the two. will try 2/3 and 1/3 as well as 3/4 and 1/4 split.... I'm no Richard Paterson :lol:

Just ordered a replacement Edradour Signatory bottle, much prefer it to the OB

I refreshed on RMW too much and it barred my IP address, said I was automated bot software hahaha.

Got one into my basket on my phone, but by the time I answered the 'drammers question' it drew a blank for me.

Wasn't meant to be...

I refreshed on RMW too much and it barred my IP address, said I was automated bot software hahaha.

Got one into my basket on my phone, but by the time I answered the 'drammers question' it drew a blank for me.

Wasn't meant to be...
I was stood outside Cadenhead's in Campbelltown this morning at ten to ten, only then did I realise the shop was open for click and collect only 😭

So I flicked the web page up on my phone, refreshed, refreshed, refreshed... The very instant it went from the 404 page to the bottle I put 1 in my basket but as soon as I clicked through they were OOS.

IMHO there was never any on-line in the first place, certainly Cadenhead's had sold their allocation long before 10am this morning.

A few turned up to collect theirs and I had a word with the bloke out the shop who confirmed as much.

Bit disappointed like as it's misleading to say it was going on sale at 10am when it had seemingly been sold out for weeks by then. Can completely understand why retailers look after their best or most regular customers when it comes to exclusive bottlings, but I still think it's a bit shit how there are so few available to your every day Joe such as myself.

On the plus side though I grabbed a few different Springbank samples from that Artisan restaurant a couple of weeks ago, looks like I'll have to make do with them :)

I was stood outside Cadenhead's in Campbelltown this morning at ten to ten, only then did I realise the shop was open for click and collect only 😭

So I flicked the web page up on my phone, refreshed, refreshed, refreshed... The very instant it went from the 404 page to the bottle I put 1 in my basket but as soon as I clicked through they were OOS.

IMHO there was never any on-line in the first place, certainly Cadenhead's had sold their allocation long before 10am this morning.

A few turned up to collect theirs and I had a word with the bloke out the shop who confirmed as much.

Bit disappointed like as it's misleading to say it was going on sale at 10am when it had seemingly been sold out for weeks by then. Can completely understand why retailers look after their best or most regular customers when it comes to exclusive bottlings, but I still think it's a bit shit how there are so few available to your every day Joe such as myself.

On the plus side though I grabbed a few different Springbank samples from that Artisan restaurant a couple of weeks ago, looks like I'll have to make do with them :)

I know a couple of people who managed to get a bottle online from Cadenheads. The allocations to the stores seems to be the issue - most had very few.

If they have sold out in advance of the bottles becoming available online then they should be honest and inform other potential customers that they have sold out with advance orders from priority customers. Anything else is misleading.

I know a couple of people who managed to get a bottle online from Cadenheads. The allocations to the stores seems to be the issue - most had very few.
I was on the page they were on from 9:55am until they went online, constantly refreshing, the very instant it appeared I attempted to put one in my basket but was told OOS

And they had a fair stash of them bagged up on the shop floor mate, I saw them

Last edited:

Happened to me with Cadenheads on the Kk a few weeks ago...onecwent in basket which builds your hopes up but by the time you continue it is then out of stock...

Frustrating isn't it ?
As you say completely understand places looking after regular customers...its the online buying that can be a bit dispiriting.

Then again there's loads of other good stuff out there...👍

I was on the page they were on from 9:55am until they went online, constantly refreshing, the very instant it appeared I attempted to put one in my basket but was told OOS

And they had a fair stash of them bagged up on the shop floor mate, I saw them
They're obliged to keep a certain number for people who live in Campbeltown. The instant sell out has happened on every site unfortunately.

They're obliged to keep a certain number for people who live in Campbeltown. The instant sell out has happened on every site unfortunately.
As i say, I don't have an issue with locals getting them. There was actually a woman in front of me turned away, she appeared local but obviously hadn't been on the phone. And there was a couple of local blokes behind me discussing what a carry on it was, how the distillery was only a couple of hundred yards away yet they'd had to phone and reserve theirs etc

As i say, I don't have an issue with locals getting them. There was actually a woman in front of me turned away, she appeared local but obviously hadn't been on the phone. And there was a couple of local blokes behind me discussing what a carry on it was, how the distillery was only a couple of hundred yards away yet they'd had to phone and reserve theirs etc

The distillery is at fault to be honest. They saw the way whisky was going 15-20 years ago and didn't increase production which has lead to this fiasco. The retailers bear the brunt of the blame though as thats who customers interface with.

The distillery is at fault to be honest. They saw the way whisky was going 15-20 years ago and didn't increase production which has lead to this fiasco. The retailers bear the brunt of the blame though as thats who customers interface with.
The people around me seemed to be having a pop at the distillery like, not the retailer.

I just think it's mental how you can't get hold of a bottle in the distillery's official outlet on the morning of its release!

At least I'll know now for future reference though, can't see me chasing around after a bottle for a while lol.

Although it's not like having a drive down to Campbelltown is much of a chore... travelled down the A83 then came back up via Carradale, beautiful morning, perhaps one of the best drives you can do in the UK :)

Back