Whey protein

Get your proteins from food. Better and cheaper. Most ypunger people have no benefit or need for additional protein.

I've worked with the industry for many years and they know this.

For the elderly it's a different matter and proteine mix.

Get your proteins from food. Better and cheaper. Most ypunger people have no benefit or need for additional protein.

As a rule yes it is better to get your protein from food and making meal nutrition #1 priority. But as long as are buying protein when on offer it is not generally any more expensive than decent food when working it out gram per gram.

Plus there is a lot to be said for the convenience of having a shake.

Last edited:

For the amino acid profile, I don't think there's a cheaper, better alternative than whey.

I agree that plenty of younger people are consuming more protein than necessary for optimising growth - largely thanks to the supplement industry
Is whey protein good for building muscle only, or does it help limit appetite/ general body conditioning ?
most of them are zero sugar I think ?

This is going to depend on your individual requirements. When dieting, you still need plenty of protein (in plenty of people, more when dieting). It can suppress appetite if you drink a protein shake 30-45 mins before a solid meal I've found.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bulk Powders whey isolate is my go to. Protein works is canny as well and have great tasting whey and vegan options. Vegan is usually lifting but theirs is spot on
I've just had a look at bulk powders and my protein.
The price has gone up nearly 100% since I last bought a 5kg bag.
With discount it's 77.64 for a 5kg whey bag, 85.79 on bulk powders.
Last time I bought some ot was less than 44 quid.
f***ing mental.
crazy prices nowadays
I'm shocked man.
May aswell get optimum nutrition or try a different protein from somewhere like dolphin fitness than buying from myprotein/bulk.

Last edited:
I've just had a look at bulk powders and my protein.
The price has gone up nearly 100% since I last bought a 5kg bag.
With discount it's 77.64 for a 5kg whey bag, 85.79 on bulk powders.
Last time I bought some ot was less than 44 quid.
f***ing mental.

I'm shocked man.
May aswell get optimum nutrition or try a different protein from somewhere like dolphin fitness than buying from myprotein/bulk.

Aye the trick is to use their discount codes or sign up for mailing. They seem to have a lot of 45% “sales”

Aye the trick is to use their discount codes or sign up for mailing. They seem to have a lot of 45% “sales”
I know marra
Full price used to be about 80-85 quid for 5kg of whey protein, now its 142.99
2.5kg is now 76.99 (so 42 quid with 45% off).

Can get 2.2kg brand tubs like ON similar price and others like reflex far cheaper.

5kg bags with 45% discount is nearly 80 quid. And this is just the bog standard whey concentrate.
I just picked up reflex 4.4 tub for a tenner less which is mainly whey isolate.
Myprotein and bulk used to be so much cheaper than their competitors.

They seem to have been hit harder with the increase in cost of whey compared to other brands who seem to have absorbed the cost.

Last edited:
I know marra
Full price used to be about 80-85 quid for 5kg of whey protein, now its 142.99
2.5kg is now 76.99 (so 42 quid with 45% off).

Can get 2.2kg brand tubs like ON similar price and others like reflex far cheaper.

5kg bags with 45% discount is nearly 80 quid. And this is just the bog standard whey concentrate.
I just picked up reflex 4.4 tub for a tenner less which is mainly whey isolate.
Myprotein and bulk used to be so much cheaper than their competitors.

They seem to have been hit harder with the increase in cost of whey compared to other brands who seem to have absorbed the cost.

Probably has something to do with the absolute jokers who now own MP.

Probably has something to do with the absolute jokers who now own MP.
Ah, it's changes hands?
Bulk Powders has gone up in price too though.
129.99 so over 70 quid for 5kg, when it was under £50 before with discounts.

Like I said I think its worth paying the extra 10 quid or so and getting ON 4.5kg gold standard.

Ah, it's changes hands?
Bulk Powders has gone up in price too though.
129.99 so over 70 quid for 5kg, when it was under £50 before with discounts.

Like I said I think its worth paying the extra 10 quid or so and getting ON 4.5kg gold standard.

Not recently, however the parent company has made a number of expansions and aren't the most competent from experience (it seems a systemic issue there). Useless.

Is matrix nutrition protein powder any good?

Seems to get mixed reviews. Some say it’s amazing others not so much.

If not what are the best ones to use at a reasonable price? Cba spending fortunes on it

Bodybuilding warehouse is the cheapest at the moment and decent quality. Got 5,kg unflavoured whey for 75 quid, bulk and my protein where wanting 55-60 quid for 2.5 kg

Bodybuilding warehouse is the cheapest at the moment and decent quality. Got 5,kg unflavoured whey for 75 quid, bulk and my protein where wanting 55-60 quid for 2.5 kg

Which brand is that? Only one I can see is £150 odd for 5kg. With the recent whey prices I switched to flavoured pea protein about a year ago. Prefer to get back to whey if anybody selling it for a reasonable price. Prefer to get 2.5kg though ideally.

Back