Where was the swimming pool in the 60's and 70,s in Sunderland?

Being from Shields we used to go to Derby Street with the occasional trip to Felling and Hebburn and Jarra.

I can't remember ever going to Sunderland.

Where were they back then?

Newcastle road or seaburn,i remember the leisure centre opening in crowtree road with a wave pool which at the time was ultra modern.

Hetton baths were brilliant. We’d be there just about every day in the summer holidays.

Before they were built we used to go to Lambton baths round the back of Fencehouses. Occasionally we’d go to Leam Lane, Crowtree or Billingham Forum.
Lambton baths at the cokeworks were roasting hot!! Brilliant in the winter.
Billingham Forum was great day out. Go down on the train, a session on the ice-rink and then the pool with the high diving board.

Been to most of those mentioned at one time of another but for a while our Mam used to take us to Washington baths near the Galleries on a Sunday afternoon. This was where I first saw the iconic graffiti ‘PENSHER WOOLYS EAT DEER’ on the way. Sundays used to be so boring back then so it became the highlight of the weekend. We used to be ferreting about the house for loose change so we could stock up on the fruit flavoured penny chews they used to sell (blackcilurrwnt was the best) but we got wrong off Mam if we stayed in too long cos we had to be home in time for her to watch ‘Ann of Green Gables’ or ‘The Dutchess of Duke Street’ or ‘The Onedin Line’ or whatever costume drama the BBC had on back then! Listening to the top forty countdown on the car radio on the way home, fingers smelling of that wonderful combination of chlorine and Burton’s beef barbecue crisps.
We used to go to the one on High Street in Junior school.
Aye we did too in the third year.
I remember @Keith S30S telling the story of being first one in once. He said he dove in and thought he’d felt something on his head. Surfaced and realised there was a thin sheet of ice he’d just broken through! Brrrrrrrr!

Last edited:
Been to most of those mentioned at one time of another but for a while our Mam used to take us to Washington baths near the Galleries on a Sunday afternoon. This was where I first saw the iconic graffiti ‘PENSHER WOOLYS EAT DEER’ on the way. Sundays used to be so boring back then so it became the highlight of the weekend. We used to be ferreting about the house for loose change so we could stock up on the fruit flavoured penny chews they used to sell (blackcilurrwnt was the best) but we got wrong off Mam if we stayed in too long cos we had to be home in time for her to watch ‘Ann of Green Gables’ or ‘The Dutchess of Duke Street’ or ‘The Onedin Line’ or whatever costume drama the BBC had on back then! Listening to the top forty countdown on the car radio on the way home, fingers smelling of that wonderful combination of chlorine and Burton’s beef barbecue crisps.

I remember @Keith S30S telling the story of being first one in once. He said he dove in and thought he’d felt something on his head. Surfaced and realised there was a thin sheet of ice he’d just broken through! Brrrrrrrr!
You must have gone a weird way if you went past the Pensha Woolies thing going from town to the Galleries.
Dawdon Pit Pond.
And Murton pit baths. Freezing even in the height of summer

Aye, I don't think High Street had any heating at all, never mind a heated pool. Hypothermia was a bigger danger than drowning.
You must have gone a weird way if you went past the Pensha Woolies thing going from town to the Galleries.
If you were south side then A183 & A182 would be normal?

Last edited:

Back