Where was the swimming pool in the 60's and 70,s in Sunderland?

High st was freezing, so you’d either get hyperthermia or the chlorine would blind you, many got knocked over when coming out.

Aye I just thought about it again, up past the monument to Shiney then down past Fatfield and on to the Galleries. Wouldn't mind, I did that self same trip off the A19 several times this weekend :D
Don’t recall exactly but I think we did go past the monument and cross Fatfield Bridge

Judging by his posts he’ll be around my age 56.
Washington baths opened 74 HB maybe as year or 2 later?
Hylton Bridge was around 74 as well I think. Anyway we've established as a Barnes kid, he would have done the Shiney route then down the A182. I'm trying to remember when that opened cos before that you had to go under the old railway bridge at Pensher which was only wide enough to let traffic through one way at a time, then down Mount Pleasant and over the old Fatfield bridge. It's all water under the bridge now.
Don’t recall exactly but I think we did go past the monument and cross Fatfield Bridge
aye, then up past Worm Hill and past St Roberts? A lot of Washington roads were just getting put in around then.

Last edited:

Back