Where did it all go wrong

Just 12 months ago we were playing some amazing football, scoring some of the best team goals I've ever seen a Sunderland side score. A team together about to make a late run into the play offs, we'd lose players but people came in and picked up the slack. Everyone seemed to be pulling in the same direction from manager players fans etc. It really felt like we were on the cusp of finding our way back to the top flight with an exciting young squad and the club having the feeling of those days under reidy or keano where anything seemed possible. Looking forward to the next game, walking upto the sol seeing people with smiles on their faces. What a difference a year makes eh.

pathetic top level decision making.

Drawing the mags in the F.A.cup at home.

Completely derailed the season. Both in terms of fan expectation and exposing our clubs management strategy for all to see. Money making exercise. Full stop.

That third reading goal was right up there mind, I sometimes hoy it on youtube and can't believe it was scored by my team. They'd be creaming about that one still if man city had scored it.
We changed the entire system this summer. Regardless of the starting team we would never have even attempted to try and score those great goals this season.
All season we have slowed the game down.

Last season we had 21 goals from 3 strikers, this season we have 3 goals from 4, nowt unlucky about that, that is all on the recruitment.
Two of those strikers were on loan from PL clubs. The last time Clarke and Roberts played together (Hull) we were in 6th with 33GF and 36pts. At the same time the previous season, we were in 9th with 33GF and 34pts. So, I guess we were just unlucky that we didn't get better PL strikers on loan this season???

Two of those strikers were on loan from PL clubs. The last time Clarke and Roberts played together (Hull) we were in 6th with 33GF and 36pts. At the same time the previous season, we were in 9th with 33GF and 34pts. So, I guess we were just unlucky that we didn't get better PL strikers on loan this season???
It's called bad recruitment mate, you can't put it down to bad luck.Simms had scored goals before he joined us for Hearts, Stewart scores goals for fun when fit. You can take Gelhardt out of the equation if you prefer, he only scored twice for us, so another flop from the recruitment team.

No flexibility in recruitment , 3 shite transfer windows in a row.
Sacked Mowbray to cover up for the owner and Speakmans mistakes
Appointed a coach that nobody wanted who turns out was a nut job who had burner accounts where he slagged off the supporters , the squad and our owner.
Dodds appointed for the 3rd time ,who just so happens to be best mates with Speakman, who after giving him the gig,said he was happy to just plod along for the rest of the season.
But apart from that though? 🤣

I would nt be too certain about that. He’s hardly adhering to the model screaming and kicking with his arm up his back. He’s all for it and revels in the authority he has.
I honestly believe he influences KLD in this field.
Anyway whoever it is that imposes this model, it needs binning.

It's called bad recruitment mate, you can't put it down to bad luck.Simms had scored goals before he joined us for Hearts, Stewart scores goals for fun when fit. You can take Gelhardt out of the equation if you prefer, he only scored twice for us, so another flop from the recruitment team.
Interesting.

Simms scored 7 goals for us prior to going back to Everton and Stewart scored 8 in the same period. In total, that's just under half of the 33 goals we scored in those 24 games last season. This year, we scored 33 goals in the same number of games without either of them (and without Amad) and we were higher in the league with slightly more points after 24 games. Is that "bad" recruitment? Or good recruitment/coaching?

And the "bad luck" this year, as you aren't following my argument, is having so many players injured or suspended at the same time since that point. There is no way a recruitment team at this level could have had that much depth available to cover the loss of Clarke, Roberts, and the others. If we had stayed relatively healthy, we would likely have finished around the same number of points as last year without Simms, Stewart and Amad. Not great, but not the decline many perceive.

Interesting.

Simms scored 7 goals for us prior to going back to Everton and Stewart scored 8 in the same period. In total, that's just under half of the 33 goals we scored in those 24 games last season. This year, we scored 33 goals in the same number of games without either of them (and without Amad) and we were higher in the league with slightly more points after 24 games. Is that "bad" recruitment? Or good recruitment/coaching?

And the "bad luck" this year, as you aren't following my argument, is having so many players injured or suspended at the same time since that point. There is no way a recruitment team at this level could have had that much depth available to cover the loss of Clarke, Roberts, and the others. If we had stayed relatively healthy, we would likely have finished around the same number of points as last year without Simms, Stewart and Amad. Not great, but not the decline many perceive.
Bloody hell, you are really defending the strikers we brought in this season ffs, 3 goals between them isn't bad luck, it's because they aren't very good.Take Clarke out of the team this season and his goals then its relegation. Oh and Roberts has no goals this season, that's another fact.We had more injuries to the strikers last season, Stewart missed half the season and so did Simms when he got recalled, our only other Striker scored 2 goals from the January and they still piss all over the strikers we have now. Again you can call it bad luck, but what it really boils down to is bad recruitment.

Back