When you meet your heroe(s)

• Thread starter Deleted member 40035
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm always a bit wary of this idea that well known public figures should be 'always on duty' when out and about. If you're meeting them at a convention or event, then fine, expect a bit of a song and dance, but if you're going to badger them while they're having their dinner or out shopping you can probably expect to be told to bugger off.

Yes and No
Met Sir Ian Botham when I was a kid (and when he was just a normal man and not Knight) - he told me to move out of the way of the spectators at a Durham match and wouldn't sign an autograph
Met him years later on a Train to York where I helped him with his golf clubs - I chose not to mention the above incident but he was a lovely bloke
Is he an actual lovely bloke. On TV he always came across as an arrogant dick. Might have to reconsider a lifetimes opinion ..

Your impromptu interruption made the katsu curry I was eating at Wetherby services a more memorable experience.
I had a katsu at wetherby a month back. Delicious

Last edited:
Met SKP around 2002/2003 time at wolviston service station with Killbane and McCann.

He was miserable, the other two were fine having a joke and talking about the match ( they were on their way to play Villa away IIRC).

I’ve forgave him though as he was obviously pissed off with things at the time.

Met SKP around 2002/2003 time at wolviston service station with Killbane and McCann.

He was miserable, the other two were fine having a joke and talking about the match ( they were on their way to play Villa away IIRC).

I’ve forgave him though as he was obviously pissed off with things at the time.

I met him when West Brom played Histon for a pre-season friendly. He played the first half and sat in the stand for the second half.

I was coming out of the bar (no surprise there) for the second half and I often wear a Sunderland top to the Histon matches, in fact I can’t think of anywhere else that I do wear one. Phillips clocked the stripes and gestured a hello and to come over and have a quick chat. He was friendly and cheerful. Wished the team well etc.

During this short time the injured Histon captain, who I know quite well, was sitting quietly next to SKP knowing who he was but not saying anything. As I turned away I shouted back “by the way you’re sat next to a legend”. SKP looked at Neil Andrews (assuming I was talking to him) and went into very minor preening mode. So I added “No... him!” Pointing at Histon’s skipper. Andrews’ face was a picture - embarrassed and amused, but SKP’s face was classic.

Like Mel Gibson’s face in Braveheart when he takes off The Bruce’s face guard and realises he has been betrayed.

Nope. Met Nick Valensi and had a pint with him, chatted about music and whatnot, it was a dream come true.

Always wanted to meet David Beckham but him almost running me over in his car doesn’t count.

Yes and No
Met Sir Ian Botham when I was a kid (and when he was just a normal man and not Knight) - he told me to move out of the way of the spectators at a Durham match and wouldn't sign an autograph
Met him years later on a Train to York where I helped him with his golf clubs - I chose not to mention the above incident but he was a lovely bloke

Sir Ian and Sir Viv are my sporting heros like, met both down the years and both exceeded expectations. Botham while sipping a bevvy is as much a legend off the pitch as he was on it.

Is he an actual lovely bloke. On TV he always came across as an arrogant dick. Might have to reconsider a lifetimes opinion ..

I had a katsu at wetherby a month back. Delicious

Strong opinions that's all, I don't really think anyone would expect any less of a man who basically took the whole Aussie team on, on and off the pitch.
When he's himself, fishing or having a drink he's a true gentleman. He's a big f***ing bloke mind, I'm not little but he would give you a canny clout in his prime I bet.

Last edited:
I'd love to meet Paul McCartney and Ringo being a huge Beatles fan. However, I'm not the type that... if I seen them out and about would go up and bother them, I'd have respect them and self-respect for myself.

Do we all not get to say 20 and realise they're just human ? Still admire their work but throw the pedestal in the bin ?

Sir Ian and Sir Viv are my sporting heros like, met both down the years and both exceeded expectations. Botham while sipping a bevvy is as much a legend off the pitch as he was on it.

Strong opinions that's all, I don't really think anyone would expect any less of a man who basically took the whole Aussie team on, on and off the pitch.
When he's himself, fishing or having a drink he's a true gentleman. He's a big f***ing bloke mind, I'm not little but he would give you a canny clout in his prime I bet.
Had the pleasure of meeting IVA Richards at Edgbaston back in 2000. I was completely start struck and found it difficult to get my words out

Your impromptu interruption made the katsu curry I was eating at Wetherby services a more memorable experience.
Sorry to interrupt your katsu curry I was on the way out and couldn't resist saying hello :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back