what's the most people you ever had around your house for a subuteo tournament?

Status
Not open for further replies.
3, me, Smithy and Rutter up at Smithy’s house off Killingworth Drive somewhere cos he had a big enough dinner table to play standing up (always a vast improvement to playing on the floor). We must have got quite good cos we got the 10-9 score lines down to rather tense (for pre-pubescent Bede School boys!) 1-0 wins. Except years later I realised we never played ‘proper ‘ cos we didn’t allow the other player to move their plastic men when you were in possession. Favourite team Hibs - bought from Josephs for 99p, probably.

I always had better things to do.
False news

Anyone remember the Spitting Image book from the mid-80s? They had a fake advert for Subbuteo Table Swimming:

“Flick the swimmers into the pool, flick them all the way to one end, and flick them all the way back again. Just like the real thing! Comes with plastic Sharon Davies, two gallons of chlorinated water, one cup of bovril and one thing found floating in pool.”

Loved the idea of subbuteo, loved buying all the accesories, the scoreboard, the teams, the floodlights, the cups, the camera gantry’s etc but when it came down to playing it, it was f***ing shite. Super cup football was mint though

Around about 1972 we had a sort of world championship around my house with 16 lads

I think I got knocked out in the semis by Walter Newton who's dad was a good lawn bowler

Used to cost ten shillings or 50p for a team back then.

Two pitches set up at the same time.

Dad got home after a half shift and I got a bit of a clip for the cigarette smoke smell. He was quite happy with the left over bottles of Old English though!

There wasn't an ipad, ipod, smart watch or hash tag boy within 30 years away!!
Who really cares?

I had Sunderland, Wolves and Leicester. My brothet Boro and 2 other teams. Boro always won the league. Fuck knows why.

If i'm ever thinking "Christ, my life is dull", i'll recall this thread and thank my lucky stars that i never sunk this low. Non football equivalant to Tiddleywinks.
:lol:

I’ve always fancied getting the whole set just to build a SoL replica stadium. Have it staged during a match, at around the 85 minute mark and have the bus stop outside packed with people trying to get home :lol:
Brilliant Marra:lol:

Anyone remember the Spitting Image book from the mid-80s? They had a fake advert for Subbuteo Table Swimming:

“Flick the swimmers into the pool, flick them all the way to one end, and flick them all the way back again. Just like the real thing! Comes with plastic Sharon Davies, two gallons of chlorinated water, one cup of bovril and one thing found floating in pool.”
:lol:

Last edited:
Subbuteo was unfortunately a very poor game to play. I had the Italia 90 set with the England and Italy teams. I couldn't for the life of me iron out the crease on the halfway line of the cloth pitch so I literally couldn't get the ball out of my own half :lol:

I went through a stage where I bought loads of teams, corner/throw in takers, stands, cameramen, trophies, dugouts etc out of my pocket money. That made it even worse because all that stuff just got in the way.
Loved playing subbuteo.

Maybe a little earlier than 72 we had Cup tournament, I got to the final as West Ham , played Wolves , extra time winner when a Harry Redknapp long range attempt got deflected into the net by Phil Parkin . Scenes !
Probably not allowable in the real rules .
All teams, pitch etc from Joseph’s
Number of players snapped by being knelt on, 3

I'm hoping to put a Subbuteo exhibition on in the Fans Museum at some point in the future. Already had early discussions with the founder about it. Got over 500 teams, 60's to present day, stadium terraces filled with SAFC fans & loads of other memorabilia. Should appeal to the owld gits like me and some of the younguns. Might even set pitch out for games.

1968 at home 16 of us 15 mins each way played games in the study and the rear lounge room kept the final for the main lounge,I lost the final to my cousin. I've still got my team somewhere all red strip loved it.

used to have a sunderland team around 1978 ish the goal keeper had his arms out in front of him rather than the usual stretched out above his head style

We had a subbuteo league in 1977 and 78 with strict rules laid down on an old copy of 'Roy of the Rovers' stating that a maximum of 2 spectators could be in attendance...a rule that was shamelessly flaunted during an Anderlecht v Bristol City match (dont ask!) when one of the uninvited lads climbed a tree to gain a view and was threatened with arrest for being a Peeping Tom by the next door neighbour.

This incident paled into insignificance when later in the season after a 0-3 humiliation the Borrusia Moenchengladbach manager dispatched the whole team into his mam's tumble dryer from which they emerged the following day as The Blob from Outer Space.:eek:

None of my mates would play it so I ended up playing alone all the time. Plus I never knew any of the f***ing rules.

Once Super Cup Football came out I never touched Subbuteo again

Logon or register to see this image

That was class.

Obviously it was Subbuteo first. Then this game came along. I loved it.

Then unfortunately it all went digital and everyone played ‘Man United in Europe’ instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back