What would you look like as a Viking ?

The Norwegian Vikings would raid in Scotland but created settlements on both sides of the country in Cumbria and Durham - much better farming land than they found in Scotland and they also held the Isle of Man as a stronghold. That's the reason that we've got the highest concentration of blond haired and blue eyed people in the UK, so the majority of us up here will have some Norwegian DNA.
My sister did a DNA test recently and it came back something like 35% Scottish and Irish and 33% Norwegian.

err we might be related... Not even kidding :lol: Especially if you had one from around Findochty/Cullen area called George as he's my 8x great grandad. Think his father was from Orkney but probably got blown off course in a storm or something :)

And ancestry.com this shite ;)
I'll have a look when I get home. If you've any Cowe's or Cowie's in your ancestry we probably are. There is someone in New Zealand who did the Flett lineage from Orkney. I'm a DNA match with him and his brother.
Now that's a proper viking.^
Hagar in England but I think he's called Harek in Norway.

Last edited:
I'll have a look when I get home. If you've any Cowe's or Cowie's in your ancestry we probably are. There is someone in New Zealand who did the Flett lineage from Orkney. I'm a DNA match with him and his brother.

Hagar in England but I think he's called Harek in Norway.

haha yes I do. Margaret Cowie was my x6 grannie. My great grandads brother who went off to Australia was the last person I know of in my family to have the Flett middle name (James Flett Horsburgh).

edit _ i just went onto my heritage to check dates of birth and death, and her records match a load of other Cowies family trees from New Zealand

Last edited:
I tried the "what would you look like as Ken from Barbie" and the answer appears to be Philip f*cking Schofield. :lol: View attachment 14555
Oh that is hilarious 😁😄😃
haha yes I do. Margaret Cowie was my x6 grannie. My great grandads brother who went off to Australia was the last person I know of in my family to have the Flett middle name (James Flett Horsburgh).

edit _ i just went onto my heritage to check dates of birth and death, and her records match a load of other Cowies family trees from New Zealand
Ooooh our very own Long Lost Family.

Last edited:

How you doing brother. :lol:
Some of my Flett ancestors.
John Flett. B 1640, Duffas, Moray.
James Flett. B 1660, Duffus, Moray.
James Flett. B 1703, Burghead, Duffas, Moray.
Alex Flett. B 1731, Findochty, Rathven, Banffshire.
William Fleck/Affleck. B 1766, Oldhamstocks, East Lothian. (the name Flett was mis-transcribed as Fleck/Affleck when the family crossed borders into England)
George Affleck. B 1791, Innerwick, East Lothian. (he's the one who moved to New Zealand and who's descendants I match with)
Recognise anyone?

How you doing brother. :lol:
Some of my Flett ancestors.
John Flett. B 1640, Duffas, Moray.
James Flett. B 1660, Duffus, Moray.
James Flett. B 1703, Burghead, Duffas, Moray.
Alex Flett. B 1731, Findochty, Rathven, Banffshire.
William Fleck/Affleck. B 1766, Oldhamstocks, East Lothian. (the name Flett was mis-transcribed as Fleck/Affleck when the family crossed borders into England)
George Affleck. B 1791, Innerwick, East Lothian. (he's the one who moved to New Zealand and who's descendants I match with)
Recognise anyone?

Just had a quick check on the ancestry.com tree and James Flett b1703 was the father of George who I'm descended from. George had a brother called Alex on my tree :lol: Small world!

I take it you also know about the Cuming side and who they are descended from? If not you might be in for a surprise....

Screenshot 2024-01-04 at 20.13.42.png

Attachments

You must be registered for see attachments list
Just had a quick check on the ancestry.com tree and James Flett b1703 was the father of George who I'm descended from. George had a brother called Alex on my tree :lol: Small world!

I take it you also know about the Cuming side and who they are descended from? If not you might be in for a surprise....

View attachment 14577
I'm descended from Alexander Flett, Georges brother. So we both originated from James Flett's ball bag over 300 years ago.
I've no idea who the Cumming's were descended from, I hope they defeated the mags at some battle.

Last edited:
I'm descended from Alexander Flett, Georges brother. So we both originated from James Flett's ball bag over 300 years ago.
I've no idea who the Cumming's were descended from, I hope they defeated the mags at some battle.

Haha better than that, have a check of the links I've made to the 2 main radgies on my profile under your message

Back