What was the point in the November lockdown then?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Look at the state of Wales after there lock down and that was after the proposed circuit breaker would have been. Would have been even worse in England

How can a lockdown be responsible for a rise? If what you're saying is there's a canny spike when everyone is released again, then aye, obviously. But the circuit breaker isn't designed to prevent thar, it is designed to stop a surge in its tracks before it gets too much.

How can a lockdown be responsible for a rise? If what you're saying is there's a canny spike when everyone is released again, then aye, obviously. But the circuit breaker isn't designed to prevent thar, it is designed to stop a surge in its tracks before it gets too much.
What I am saying is the circuit breaker would have been at the wrong time which would have resulted in another 3rd lockdown by now. My opinion of course

Scary that our town in the commuter belt, 30 miles outside London, now in Tier 3. No one's been going into London, when you walk along the street in the day and neb in the windows you can see everyone working at home in the laptops. There's no university in our town. Can only assume it's the schools, restaurants and pubs that have caused the increase.

Last edited by a moderator:
We're really not where we were when we started though... The cases are still relatively low across England if you exclude London and the South East who have more cases than the whole of the Midlands and North.

Official UK Coronavirus Dashboard - Gives a good summary of how much we've dropped since November and shows that it actually did work and it's stayed pretty much down since.

Official UK Coronavirus Dashboard - That's what's skewing the country as a whole and the media only care about London so it's a national problem obviously.

It's the same for the North West, Official UK Coronavirus Dashboard and Yorkshire too Official UK Coronavirus Dashboard

Scary that our town in the commuter belt, 30 miles outside London, now in Tier 3. No one's been going into London, when you walk along the street in the day and neb in the windows you can see everyone working at home in the laptops. There's no university in our town. Can only assume it's the schools, restaurants and pubs that have caused the increase.

Nationally, the majority of pubs have been shut, the majority of restaurants are shut, a load of workplaces are shut.

The only major sector that has had a ‘carry on as normal approach’ is schools. The rate amongst 10-19 year olds is soaring resulting in this major press of the panic button announced for schools yesterday.
I’ve been saying for months that if the policy had gone the other way and we’d shut down schools and kept hospitality open we’d be in nowhere near the shit we’re in now.
There’s the impact on children’s mental health to consider as well as the flaws of online learning but people’s lives are far more important.

Nationally, the majority of pubs have been shut, the majority of restaurants are shut, a load of workplaces are shut.

The only major sector that has had a ‘carry on as normal approach’ is schools. The rate amongst 10-19 year olds is soaring resulting in this major press of the panic button announced for schools yesterday.
I’ve been saying for months that if the policy had gone the other way and we’d shut down schools and kept hospitality open we’d be in nowhere near the shit we’re in now.
There’s the impact on children’s mental health to consider as well as the flaws of online learning but people’s lives are far more important.
Personally I think they're right to prioritise keeping schools open above all else.

Reactions: ATS

I don't know how you can blame schools. Schools stayed open during the lockdown and the numbers dropped so they're not the main cause of the virus spreading. We've come out of lockdown and been split into 2 tiers. One which has hospitality partially open the other with it shut. Most areas which went into Tier 2 are currently spiralling out of control and have all went into Tier 3 yesterday. The areas which went straight into Tier 3 have pretty much stabilised or decreased in some areas bar a few random outbreaks. One being in the Brockley Whins area in South Shields and another in Haltwhistle which is one of the worst areas in the country atm with a rate of 1,280. Other than that the rest of the LA7 has continued to decrease since the lockdown.

The only main difference between the 2 tiers is hospitality. I'm not saying schools aren't causing some infection but they're not the main cause.

Personally I think they're right to prioritise keeping schools open above all else.

I think any sane person would tbh imagine the reaction if we decided that pubs are more important than education. We'd be a laughing stock on the international stage nevermind by the national media.

Last edited:
Cant argue with this. Perhaps should have made them all boarding schools though:):lol:
There's also the impact on parents if the schools are closed. People, almost inevitably women, have to leave the workforce if they have their kids at home 24/7, we saw this through lockdown 1. This had huge impact on mental health, and if the government wants the economy to function as normally as possible, it has to enable schools and childcare to free the workers to work.

Reactions: ATS
I think the restrictions have worked tbh.
Tier 3 to 2 isn't much of a difference and if it stops people stretching what they can do then I'm happy in 3 until January. Keep the numbers down

House parties
I think the restrictions have worked tbh.
Tier 3 to 2 isn't much of a difference and if it stops people stretching what they can do then I'm happy in 3 until January. Keep the numbers down

It's a huge difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back