What type of holiday maker are you ?

Like city breaks to places with lots of history and culture.
Don’t mind if it’s summer or winter.
Same here mate.
I love city breaks, either lively 24 hour cities, like Paris, New York, and Sydney, or places full of old history, like Budapest, Barcelona and Cologne.

We hardly ever do beach holidays, pre-kids it was nearly always city breaks.

We’ve done Disney Paris twice since kids came along but will do something different next year, my daughter(5) says she wants a beach holiday so we might do one (it’ll only be the 2nd time the wife and I have done one in the 18 years we’ve been together), although we’ve also been talking about New York.

I always get off the beaten track, wherever I go, just get lost somewhere and mix with the locals.

I’m still trying to find places most westerners haven’t visited. It was easier a few years ago when most Asian countries were still a mystery,

There’s nothing better than sitting in a bar in some small town in Asia where nobody speaks English, and learning to communicate with the locals.
I do exactly the same.
When abroad, my mates would happily sit in an Irish bar, all day long, watching footy and horseracing
I leave them to it, and get away from the touristy places, and head off the beaten track, and walk for miles, stopping off every now and then for a bite to eat and drink in locals bars, trying the local food and drink, and chatting with locals.

Done plenty city breaks, ski breaks, dubai, st lucia, devon, wales, bute etc etc but at present best suited to whole family is your all inclusives and some in turkey are unbelievable quality (first went 20 year back when it was shite). Suggest folk give them a go before slagging off.

Plan a canny bit travelling afar once kids are away.

In the last couple of years Valletta has had a record amount of tourists.
The British are in the minority these days.
The British tend to hang around the cheap bars with two interests.
Getting pissed every day and going home like a brown leather handbag 🤔

They go to the mentioned places to get pissed up every day ?

Valletta was also capital of culture last year, so you'd expect a spike in tourism from all over.

Most British people just don't seem to like history.
The 18-30 age group who travel here from around the world love the place.
As mentioned most British just love a good piss up

I dont think thats strictly true. Most under 30's probably do like a good piss up but later on in life i think its more a case of the blue collar working classes that love a good cheap piss up.

City break all the way for me. Not knocking it but I don't like just sitting on a beach getting blasted for a week straight, much rather get out and about and see castles, monuments and shit. Went to Budapest this year, great place.

But just because its a coastal resort doesnt mean you have to spend time on the beach.
I cant stand the beach & do generally prefer a bit of history & culture, but also do like relaxing at a bar or restaraunt over looking the sea. There are options where you can do both. Malta being one of them.

Not been but I know the Romans, Ottomans, Greeks and Russians have been there. Someone said I would love Sofia for it's history.
You'd probably love Budapest too.
Bags of history, great food, wine, and loads to see and do.
Seeing and hearing a gypsy band, playing their traditional Hungarian violin music, in a wine cellar, is something else.
I love the place and know it well and have family there.
I also speak the lingo (I've forgotten a lot, but can speak enough "get by" Hungarian.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Back