What the former Corner Flag pub is to become.

With the right external cladding, that could look a lot more appealing.
There'd need to be a he'll of a lot of cladding. Basically totally covering what's there which ad I understand it won't be happening. Don't even think they'll paint it. Having said that I thinknif not successful it'll be knocked down within 5 years anyway.

There'd need to be a he'll of a lot of cladding. Basically totally covering what's there which ad I understand it won't be happening. Don't even think they'll paint it. Having said that I thinknif not successful it'll be knocked down within 5 years anyway.
Couple of hundred sheets of trespa would only be about £50k. Probably the same amount in Labour to fit it. Not too bad a price. I agree, it’ll not happen like.

I had good memories from that building but they were years past. It had to go and pleased they're replacing it. Shame the same didn't happen with gilbridge station.
Not a fan of the ex police station but the danger is if you pull it down we repeat the same mistakes people did in the 60s and destroyed many Victoria buildings. Uproar when the 'Get Carter' car park was pulled down , load of fans of 60s brutal concrete architecture. Unbelievable to think the town hall was pulled down but there must have been plenty of people who agreed or it wouldn’t have happened. Imagine suggesting that Sunderland museum should be pulled down. Once Gilbridge is cleaned up and put back into use, with it standing back from the road and some greenery it is actually not too bad. At least you can define Gilbridge which is more than be said of the hotch potch of architecture that was Idols. Like you say long past memories and probably would have been gone ages ago had Lucianos not blamed anybody and everybody for why they couldn't move - it's the council's fault Lucianos has gone apparently (if you believe social media).

Not a fan of the ex police station but the danger is if you pull it down we repeat the same mistakes people did in the 60s and destroyed many Victoria buildings. Uproar when the 'Get Carter' car park was pulled down , load of fans of 60s brutal concrete architecture. Unbelievable to think the town hall was pulled down but there must have been plenty of people who agreed or it wouldn’t have happened. Imagine suggesting that Sunderland museum should be pulled down. Once Gilbridge is cleaned up and put back into use, with it standing back from the road and some greenery it is actually not too bad. At least you can define Gilbridge which is more than be said of the hotch potch of architecture that was Idols. Like you say long past memories and probably would have been gone ages ago had Lucianos not blamed anybody and everybody for why they couldn't move - it's the council's fault Lucianos has gone apparently (if you believe social media).

Social media 🙄 fuckwits.

There's a world of difference between victorian architecture and the shite thrown up in the 60's. Gilbridge being a great example. There simply wouldn't be the sort of future outcry you mention as it's an ugly building.

The old police station is horrendous

The 60s were outstanding for music but terrible for architecture
True. At least part of it is gone. A coat of paint may help once it's done but lipstick on a pig territory. Fantastic thebold civic centre is on way out too. Another eye sore. Be great once nice new homes down there too.

The thing is when the Town Hall was being demolished I don’t ever recall a major outcry about it at the time.
I can’t recall any “save our town hall” campaigns or the like, it seems to have happened largely with a minimum of fuss, unless my memory doesn’t serve me well.

The thing is when the Town Hall was being demolished I don’t ever recall a major outcry about it at the time.
I can’t recall any “save our town hall” campaigns or the like, it seems to have happened largely with a minimum of fuss, unless my memory doesn’t serve me well.
Were you alive then? 60s wasn't it?

Back