What shares you buying?

Can anyone explain, when you buy shares at say £1 each, and they go up to £1.20 each, and you want to sell them, is there always someone willing to buy them off you? If there isn't anyone willing to buy them, can you not cash them in ?
You typically sell through a broker to a market maker who are offering a spread to cover their costs and make a mark up. Usually the offer (bid) price is lower than they’ve already agreed to a buyer (ask).

Can anyone explain, when you buy shares at say £1 each, and they go up to £1.20 each, and you want to sell them, is there always someone willing to buy them off you? If there isn't anyone willing to buy them, can you not cash them in ?
They go up to 120p because somebody else has already offered to buy them at that price. They’ll be sold on a platform, like a big shop, where the prices fluctuate based on demand.
You typically sell through a broker to a market maker who are offering a spread to cover their costs and make a mark up. Usually the offer (bid) price is lower than they’ve already agreed to a buyer (ask).
Or that ;) ;)

They go up to 120p because somebody else has already offered to buy them at that price. They’ll be sold on a platform, like a big shop, where the prices fluctuate based on demand.

Or that ;) ;)

So on these apps you can sell shares pretty much instantaneously and have coin in your bank right away ?

So on these apps you can sell shares pretty much instantaneously and have coin in your bank right away ?
Aye, if you’re happy with the price being offered. I’m guessing you’ll not be dealing in millions of quids buys & sells. It might take a day or two to get it from your platform, or broker, to your bank account via the transfer. Depends on their security procedures.

Aye, if you’re happy with the price being offered. I’m guessing you’ll not be dealing in millions of quids buys & sells. It might take a day or two to get it from your platform, or broker, to your bank account via the transfer. Depends on their security procedures.

Sorry for all the questions, but if I download the app is that free? And to sign up, free? And to deposit etc.. and withdraw, I mean if I put £10 in and it goes up 20% , do I get £12 in my bank ?

I've got a good lump to invest and I'm thinking of going with a Discretionary Fund Management firm, the fee is 3% of the deposit, and thats it really

I'm thinking of investing rather than having the cash sat in a 0% savings account, obviously I understand there's risk involved but would it be reasonable to assert that a spread in "big tech" like Apple, Google, Netflix, Amazon etc is likely to grow modestly over a year, and any variation whichever way is not likely to be more than say 10% ?

I am looking at putting about £5,000 in and would be prepared to take a loss of £500-700 but if a reasonable chance of worse than that I wouldn't want to do it.

Clearly need to do some research

Sorry for all the questions, but if I download the app is that free? And to sign up, free? And to deposit etc.. and withdraw, I mean if I put £10 in and it goes up 20% , do I get £12 in my bank ?

I've got a good lump to invest and I'm thinking of going with a Discretionary Fund Management firm, the fee is 3% of the deposit, and thats it really
Have a look at interactive investor, Hargreaves Lansdown & AJ Bell. Read through their terms and charges and make sure you understand them before signing up to anything.

I'm thinking of investing rather than having the cash sat in a 0% savings account, obviously I understand there's risk involved but would it be reasonable to assert that a spread in "big tech" like Apple, Google, Netflix, Amazon etc is likely to grow modestly over a year, and any variation whichever way is not likely to be more than say 10% ?

I am looking at putting about £5,000 in and would be prepared to take a loss of £500-700 but if a reasonable chance of worse than that I wouldn't want to do it.

Rather than buying individual shares, you can invest in a ready made portfolio of shares that just tracks the market.

Investing in a single sector like the big techs increases your risk.

3% initial? They’ll be charging an annual management fee too. In my experience for true discretionary you should be able to get that initial 3% to 0%.

Tried to message you mate. Got a couple of things on my work computer I’ll pop across which might help.
3% initial? They’ll be charging an annual management fee too. In my experience for true discretionary you should be able to get that initial 3% to 0%.
Aye, there’ll be ongoing as it needs to be managed.

Rather than buying individual shares, you can invest in a ready made portfolio of shares that just tracks the market.

Investing in a single sector like the big techs increases your risk.
Thank you. In layman's I guess a move like this would be at risk from a "market crash" ? I had it in my mind that big tech was more robust than the overall market. I clearly don't know what i'm talking about :lol: A ready made portfolio of shares sounds like a good start, i'd keep looking at it and i suppose that would be first education into variables and getting further involved.

Think the management fee is like 0.5% but they take that off before they show you what you've got
Tried to message you mate. Got a couple of things on my work computer I’ll pop across which might help.

Aye, there’ll be ongoing as it needs to be managed.

I've cleared it mate

Thank you. In layman's I guess a move like this would be at risk from a "market crash" ? I had it in my mind that big tech was more robust than the overall market. I clearly don't know what i'm talking about :lol: A ready made portfolio of shares sounds like a good start, i'd keep looking at it and i suppose that would be first education into variables and getting further involved.

If you're gradually drop feeding the investment each month (like what you'd do with a pension) crashes can be beneficial as you can then buy more units for less. They do tend to bounce back pretty quickly. What you can also get is a blended fund which contains bonds, which reduces risks from market crashes.
Most people tend to invest for retirement, so early on you'd go in with a higher risk fund (100% equities). Then as you get closer to retirement, you rebalance with more bonds.

Vanguards life strategy 80 fund is the one that's usually recommended for beginners.

Last edited:

Try the Scottish Mortgage Investment Trust

Back