What shares you buying?

Normally the employees are allowed to buy shares at a discount, then have to hold them for a length of time bending alowed to sell them , hopefully at a profit.
I worked for a software company 1998-2000 and when it floated we were given some shares (in lieu of a lack of pension, plus about 17 days of annual leave).

I sold mine ASAP, they were at about 150p at the height of the dot com boom.

I left in 2000, and bought a few hundred quids worth when they’d dipped to about 6p.

Then I sold them just before a management buy out.

Yes. Not as predicted! Lots of people cashing out now as it hit 32p this morning, doubling their money. Could / should still rise as the news goes mainstream.
Still a good investment. Likely to be a sell-off of one part of their business before christmas, so Im holding for now.

Alien backtracking a bit as well after more than doubling in a week.

Touchstone flat as a fart after last week's rise. They have an investor presentation on Thursday, so might respond after that

Still waiting for ARC to jump.

ups and downs......

Down from the week high on Monday by -50% as of opening bell today.

Now +26% this morning alone

Not for the faint hearted this one :lol:

I've recently signed up to trading 212 - Got a free share by depositing £1.

If anyone fancies doing the same use this link - Kostenloses Investieren in echte Aktien und ETFs - Trading 212

Cheers
If you have RSA shares they've just gone through the roof getting almost 50% gains overnight. My mrs worked for them for 14 years doing share save schemes sometimes putting £200 a month into them.
I worked for them years ago - signed up to the sharesave thingy then cashed it in a few months later cos I was skint.

Anyone looking at the Covid Diagnostic space? I’ve bought some ODX but to be honest there’s quite a few that could easily hit better. Genedrive maybe.
Wish I’d had a few quid in Novacyt in January.....

I've recently signed up to trading 212 - Got a free share by depositing £1.

If anyone fancies doing the same use this link - Kostenloses Investieren in echte Aktien und ETFs - Trading 212

Cheers

I worked for them years ago - signed up to the sharesave thingy then cashed it in a few months later cos I was skint.
We cashed one lot in because it would have been worth less than we put in. Sometimes you're better off with the cash.

Applied for a delivery driver job with ASDA. One of the benefits is to be a shareholder with Sharesave scheme.

See no point in it myself. What would I do with it?
I don’t know about Asda specifically, but ask them to explain it to you, cos it could be pretty valuable.

My previous employer let us buy shares at a discount, 20% but also guaranteed your capital. So if they were valued at 125p, you could buy them, say £250 per month at 100p. Hopefully they go up. Say at the end of your 3yr scheme they’re worth 150p. £250 x 36 payments means you’ve paid £9k, you’ve got 9,000 shares. But you sell them for 150p each as the share price has risen, meaning you get £13,500. If the shares are valued at below the 100p you paid for them they’ll still give you your £9k back.

I don’t know about Asda specifically, but ask them to explain it to you, cos it could be pretty valuable.

My previous employer let us buy shares at a discount, 20% but also guaranteed your capital. So if they were valued at 125p, you could buy them, say £250 per month at 100p. Hopefully they go up. Say at the end of your 3yr scheme they’re worth 150p. £250 x 36 payments means you’ve paid £9k, you’ve got 9,000 shares. But you sell them for 150p each as the share price has risen, meaning you get £13,500. If the shares are valued at below the 100p you paid for them they’ll still give you your £9k back.

Yeah, I like sharesave schemes. Potentially very good reward for very little risk.

Yeah, I like sharesave schemes. Potentially very good reward for very little risk.
My last one, some of the boss’ had came to team meetings & said internal analysis suggested the company should be at 300p. Bought my shares for 120p I think. Anyhow, I was being greedy, but I expected to double my money in 3yrs based on that day. It did hit 240p very briefly, but ended up at about 150p just before I left :lol:

Still, free money with no risk.

Can anyone explain, when you buy shares at say £1 each, and they go up to £1.20 each, and you want to sell them, is there always someone willing to buy them off you? If there isn't anyone willing to buy them, can you not cash them in ?

Back