What percentage of your monthly salary is pocket-money

gards2

Striker
i.e. you've paid all your utilities/mortgage etc food shopping accounted for until the next salary payment.

Mine was about 60% remaining

This doesn't include cigs and alcohol or take-away food, clothes etc etc because that comes out of your expendable income/pocket-money. I guess i'm talking about 'living exspenses'

i.e. you've paid all your utilities/mortgage etc food shopping accounted for until the next salary payment.

This doesn't include cigs and alcohol or take-away food, clothes etc etc because that comes out of your expendable income/pocket-money. I guess i'm talking about 'living exspenses'
Are holidays pocket money expenses?

Not a pointless metric for life. Mr Micawber was well aware of this.

I’ve read what ratio you should save, spend etc. But in the context of this thread it’s pointless unless you state your salary or your cash value for monthly expendable income.

I know what mine is for budgeting purposes because I know how much I earn.

"Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery." It's a pretty straightforward lesson: Spend more money than you've got, and you're headed for trouble.

198%

I’ve read what ratio you should save, spend etc. But in the context of this thread it’s pointless unless you state your salary or your cash value for monthly expendable income.

I know what mine is for budgeting purposes because I know how much I earn.
I still think it's a decent metric no matter how much you earn. Having your needs met but still having a decent wedge to play with is the key to a stress free life. Having to earn a fortune but committing the majority to monthly expenditure is not for me.

Bills and food used to be about 60% and then 25% I'd put into savings and the rest as day to day expenses. Holidays and bigger purchases would come out of savings.

Since the COL crisis, Bills have gone to about 70% and I've adjusted everything else accordingly. Finding that if I have a big weekends or a couple family meals and my pocket money is running out well before pay day these days.

I still think it's a decent metric no matter how much you earn. Having your needs met but still having a decent wedge to play with is the key to a stress free life. Having to earn a fortune but committing the majority to monthly expenditure is not for me.

I think you’ve missed my point. I’m not disagreeing with you. Simply stating a percentage in this thread means nothing.
It does mean something to you personally when arranging your finances.

I think you’ve missed my point. I’m not disagreeing with you. Simply stating a percentage in this thread means nothing.
It does mean something to you personally when arranging your finances.
How does it mean nothing?
Bills and food used to be about 60% and then 25% I'd put into savings and the rest as day to day expenses. Holidays and bigger purchases would come out of savings.

Since the COL crisis, Bills have gone to about 70% and I've adjusted everything else accordingly. Finding that if I have a big weekends or a couple family meals and my pocket money is running out well before pay day these days.
that's a grim adjustment but still probably better than many.

Last edited:

Back