What kind of birds do you see in your garden?

Love that. Your garden a decent size? Plenty trees and shrubs?

Average size garden but it's where I live. There's thick woods at the top of the street, then more woods and open grassy areas out the back. Out the front of my street are fields of crops with hedgerows and assorted trees. Get all sorts of other wildlife visiting too. I love it 😁

Last edited by a moderator:

Average size garden but it's where I live. There's thick woods at the top of the street, then more woods and open grassy areas out the back. Out the front of my street are fields of crops with hedgerows and assorted trees. Get all sorts of other wildlife visiting too. I love it 😁
Sounds fantastic

I do the bird society watch thing every January and our garden's birds are fairly common. Pigeons, magpies, a couple of robins, crows, blackbirds, etc. Don't see many sparrows now yet they were the most common bird I'd see a few decades ago.

I'm next to a dene so I get all of the tit and finch varieties as well as the usual visitors. The long tailed tits are a particular favourite. Saw a jay for the first time recently. I also get tree creepers, wrens and nuthatches.

Last edited:
Previous house was in a more rural area, got to see loads, most been mentioned already in this thread plus the odd gold crest and a kestrel which head butted the living room window, I was mortified - pleased it got up and flew off after a few mins. Current house, busier area, so bugger all except pigeons, collared doves, starlings, robins, blackbirds, sparrows. I hear gulls, crows and jackdaws rather than see any in the garden. Happily no cats, although I think the mutt misses that particular sport.

^ This list minus the Jackdaws and the Sparrowhawk, what a novelty.

The jackdaws are horrible. They come in a pack and strip the bird feeder. I think I'm going to have to get one of those fat ball feeders where it's a cage within a cage so the little birds can still feed but the big scavengers can't!

The sparrowhawk is class but it's gruesome when he's sitting on the lawn merrily pecking his way through one of the blackbirds or something.

Sparrows, some kind of thrush and swifts - none doing social distancing, there was about 100 pissing about in there the other day (they all flew off in unison, the noise was crackers).

Blue Tips.
Green Finch
Wood Pidgeon
Collared Doves.
Spuggies
BLOODY STARLINGS 😡
Sparrow Hawk ( now and again )
Robin
Racing Pigeon ( think it’s frightened to go back home )
Blackbirds ( Mr and Mistresses + some of their bairn )

Just got a little garden so we do ok !

Tits; great, blue, coal, long-tailed
Finches; gold, bull, chaff
House sparrows, dunnocks
Blackbirds
Starlings
Magpies, jays
Sparrowhawk
Greater spotted woodpecker
Treeceeeper

Have heard but never seen a barn owl

That’s a real shame mate, hope you see one.
Sadly one of our resident Barn Owls was killed on the road this Spring.
A few not Covered on the list - Summer and Spring
Stock Doves
Red legged Partridge
Pheasant
Green Finch
Green Woodpecker
Lesser and great spotted woodpecker
Chaffinch
Nuthatch.
Chiffchaff
Reed Bunting only a few times
Bullfinch
Mistle Thrush
Jay
Linnet
Goldcrest
Spotted Flycatcher last year
Hoopoo are beautiful, used to see them in Spain 🙂 had humming birds and red cardinal in the garden in Canada, here the most unusual for some are the parakeets.

No parakeets here yet.
Loads down your way I hear.
Plenty of Buzzards and Red Kites here. We get a few nesting Curlews a few miles away. I know the farmer well and the RSBP are all over it.
Snipe as well.

Last edited:
That’s a real shame mate, hope you see one.
Sadly one of our resident Barn Owls was killed on the road this Spring.
A few not Covered on the list - Summer and Spring
Stock Doves
Red legged Partridge
Pheasant
Green Finch
Green Woodpecker
Lesser and great spotted woodpecker
Chaffinch
Nuthatch.
Chiffchaff
Reed Bunting only a few times
Bullfinch
Mistle Thrush
Jay
Linnet
Goldcrest
Spotted Flycatcher last year

No parakeets here yet.
Loads down your way I hear.
Plenty of Buzzards and Red Kites here. We get a few nesting Curlews a few miles away. I know the farmer well and the RSBP are all over it.
Snipe as well.

Just sat in the garden now having a cider and watching the pipistrelle bats hunt.

I love birds but nothing makes me happier than seeing bats.

Back