What is the footy term for a number 9 who leads the line but does not score goals?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was going to suggest Shearer but more around the way he managed to change his game due to injury. Before he was the bustling pacey forward with the strength to get into goal scoring positions. The injury cost him some of his pace which meant he adapted his game to act as more orthodox centre forward holding the ball up while bringing others in - he did still weigh in with goals just not as many.

I know what you mean, and I agree, about how he modified his style, but he still scored loads.
He played 7 more seasons after the one I just mentioned.
His final 7 seasons total goals were; 30, 7, 27, 25, 28, 19, 14.

By 2001 when he was 31 we has Bellamy, Dyer, Robert around him to save him doing the running he used to. Was incredible though at Blackburn and his first season at Newcastle.

Think that’s more to do with Ross vs Parkinson tbh

Without a doubt Parkinson deserves the credit.

But the first player Parkinson was talking about when he got here was Wyke. And Wyke was injured when we got here and we won 2 in 11 games (under Parkinson) without him. He came back in the team, results picked up immediately, and we have lost 1 game in 12 since then.

I'm not by any stretch of the imagination suggesting that is all down to Wyke - Gooch for McGeady has had a similar effect.

But with the squad we have, and the way we play, Wyke is a really important player and we are a far better side with him in it.

Without a doubt Parkinson deserves the credit.

But the first player Parkinson was talking about when he got here was Wyke. And Wyke was injured when we got here and we won 2 in 11 games (under Parkinson) without him. He came back in the team, results picked up immediately, and we have lost 1 game in 12 since then.

I'm not by any stretch of the imagination suggesting that is all down to Wyke - Gooch for McGeady has had a similar effect.

But with the squad we have, and the way we play, Wyke is a really important player and we are a far better side with him in it.
Yeah for me gooch has made a much bigger impact. I think a target man suits Parkinson’s system better than someone like grigg but I honestly think you could take any bog standard, league one journeyman, target man and stick him in instead of wyke and get the same results. I’d look to replace him with a similarly built, hard working player but he’s the first player I’d replace

Updated figures after Tuesday:

Average points this season when Charlie Wyke has started = 1.88 per game (an average that would have us top of the League).
Average points this season when Charlie Wyke has not started = 1.53 per game (an avaerage that would have us in 10th place).
Legend. :cool:

Target Man

"This is often used to describe a particular type of striker whose main role is to win high balls in the air and create chances for other members of the team and not necessarily scoring many goals themselves. These players are usually tall and physically strong while being great headers of the ball. They are also useful at defending against opposition set-pieces. "

6 Types Of Football Forwards You Can See In The Sport - Playo

Well that doesn't describe Wyke either

A Sunderland Forward.

Brett Angell
Paul Stewart
Lilian Laslandes
Tore Andre Flo
Tommy Smith
Chris Brown
Andy Gray
Anthony Le Tallec
Jon Stead
Benjani
Danny Graham
Jozy Altidore
James Vaughan
Ashley Fletcher
Charlie Wyke
Will Grigg

When it comes to non-goalscoring goalscorers, we’ve got it boxed off.
Louis Saha
James McFadden
Rade Prica

He's anything but tbf, he's more of a Sheringham, Cantona type, lovely footballer.
Concurred. He's an exceptional footballer with great vision and a wonderful touch.
Iain Dowie

Firminio doesn't score goals?

the things you learn
Not at Anfield anyway. Don't get me wrong here I think he's a fantastic footballer and I'd have him leading the line in a Premier League 11.

Last edited:
Concurred. He's an exceptional footballer with great vision and a wonderful touch.

Not at Anfield anyway. Don't get me wrong here I think he's a fantastic footballer and I'd have him leading the line in a Premier League 11.
glad you rate Dowie so highly!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back