What is the footy term for a number 9 who leads the line but does not score goals?

For the older readers.
The Revie Plan was a tactical system in association football used by Manchester City in the 1950s. The system was named after Manchester City player Don Revie, who had the most important role in it.

In 1953, English football was astounded by the Hungarian team which beat England 6–3 at Wembley Stadium. The Revie plan was a variation on the tactics used by the Hungarians, involving Don Revie playing as a deep-lying centre forward. Revie started attacks by coming into the centre of the field to receive the ball, drawing the opposing centre-half out of position.

The system was first implemented by the Manchester City reserve team, who using the system went unbeaten for the last 26 games of the 1953–54 season. Before the start of the 1954–55 season, Manchester City manager Les McDowall called his team into pre-season training two weeks early to try the new tactic. Manchester City lost their first game using the system 5–0, but as the players became more used to the system it started to become more successful. Using the system Manchester City reached the 1955 FA Cup Final, but lost to Newcastle United 3-1. The following year City again reached the final where they played Birmingham City, this time winning 3-1.[1]
I remember Don 'The Rhino' Kitchenbrand, our South African centre forward. He was scoring a goal a game for Rangers, and we bought him as part of our own Revie plan in 1957. It failed spectacularly: we got relegated: Revie was never again a regular starter for us. Rhino scored 21 goals next season, at the second level, and he was the spit and image of Charlie Wyke, wierdly.
Any relation, @Kitch?

Last edited:
T
Without a doubt Parkinson deserves the credit.

But the first player Parkinson was talking about when he got here was Wyke. And Wyke was injured when we got here and we won 2 in 11 games (under Parkinson) without him. He came back in the team, results picked up immediately, and we have lost 1 game in 12 since then.

I'm not by any stretch of the imagination suggesting that is all down to Wyke - Gooch for McGeady has had a similar effect.

But with the squad we have, and the way we play, Wyke is a really important player and we are a far better side with him in it.
This is what I had in mind when I started the thread but did not want to express it, but imply it, hoping someone else would try to put it in words. So thanks for doing so. I think Giroud and Heskey of those already suggested had a similar (better executed I suppose) role to play.

I remember Don 'The Rhino' Kitchenbrand, our South African centre forward. He was scoring a goal a game for Rangers, and we bought him as part of our own Revie plan in 1957. It failed spectacularly: we got relegated: Revie was never again a regular starter for us. Rhino scored 21 goals next season, at the second level, and he was the spit and image of Charlie Wyke, wierdly.
Any relation, @Kitch?
I am old enough to have seen Kitchenbrand, my first game at Roker Park, a reserve game with my Dad and uncles. Two firsts, because it was also the first time I heard them swear, at The Rhino. And you are correct, he fits the bill for the subject of this thread, along with that other long list.

Would be amazing if we could replicate Chelsea & Giroud, but I'm thinking we could be more like Bolton were in their Prem days. What's the name of that big lad they had up front for years? Scored the odd one but his main task was to be a target man and it worked a treat. I remember Wenger moaning his head off that Bolton are not playing football by keeping it in the air all the time, and their players were too big :D

Back