What is a 'Bus gate' and can you legally use it in your car?

Aye I've seen a few bus only rising bollards videos of car crashing but this one with the AA van towing a car is a new one 🤣

Here's one I haven't seen before though, vehicle width restriction bollards and people aren't just clipping it but smashing into them 🤪

Even though Google maps shows a Luton type van going through it

Totally forgot about that second one, seen that before. God knows what plonker thought that was a good idea but there's some idiot planners around. Reminds me of Ovingham Bridge - Google Maps

Which is just as narrow, can see a few have whacked that one over the years.

Totally forgot about that second one, seen that before. God knows what plonker thought that was a good idea but there's some idiot planners around. Reminds me of Ovingham Bridge - Google Maps

I just drove over that bridge a few weeks ago and I didn't like it!

Up here I’ve never seen a bus gate- we have bus only connections of the same function - these have no entry signs with “except buses” underneath. Perfectly clear and no legal ambiguity. Bus gate looks hugely over dramatic for such a simple idea tbh.
Isn't there one on the a194 coming out of Jarrow or whatever?

That looks tight and it's smaller at 2m but I guess it's because of the knackers in heavy vehicles going across as I see the weak bridge sign.

I see the stones that are sticking out are slanted which means the tyres would hit them at the bottom but that still means the front end could clip the stone before the front tyres. I could do it no bother but it's obvious that it's not easy. Surely they could they not put some protective barrier prior to the stones to help guide drivers into the right position before they end up scraping their car? I bet some drivers don't even go over and take the longer route over either side of it.

Up here I’ve never seen a bus gate- we have bus only connections of the same function - these have no entry signs with “except buses” underneath. Perfectly clear and no legal ambiguity. Bus gate looks hugely over dramatic for such a simple idea tbh.
The bus gate is still the same thing, they've still got signs that should be obvious to competent drivers. Ignoring the knackers who ignore signs no matter what they say, it's more down to people probably not knowing what blue signs are for. It's just the same as these other kinds of blue signs that people will see all the time.

Logon or register to see this image

It's also the same as the pedestrian/bicycle ones you see a lot more of now. Or do drivers who can't understand the bus/bicycle one also think that's for them to drive along there also? If people can't understand those blue signs and what the bus one means then they they need to brush up on their Highway Code as what else do they not know?

Last edited:
I recall this one being in the news a while back and personally I just laugh at shit like that.

Even in September last year someone got out of a fine

It's not clearly designed to confuse drivers to make money at all. It's more the fact that people don't know what the Highway Code blue sign means or just ignore it even though they do know. Looking at Google maps below from July 2022 you can see the 1st set of huge signage on approach and it's telling all non cycle/bus traffic to turn right. Further on is another set of signs with the camera warning also.

If people are still driving through and being fined then it's their own stupid f***ing fault as it's not as if it's clear enough. The fact that bus gate is painted on the road is also a big hint about what the blue signs may mean but if they still can't understand the legitimate Highway Code signs, regardless of the bus gate road markings then fuck knows what they're like elsewhere on the roads. Maybe there is a place called Busgate (like Wingate) and it's just confusing people who want to travel to Busgate? 🤣

Looking at google maps, it's not as if it's clear enough anyway that you can't drive a car through. The problem being is that a sign alone won't stop the knackers going through. All this crap about making money is rubbish, it's more down to people taking the piss and them being forced to do something about it. What's even more amusing is that even Google Maps has caught a van obviously going through it 🤣

It's been called a busgate instead of a bus lane to confuse and it's clearly worked. No one's ever heard of the fooker.

It's been called a busgate instead of a bus lane to confuse and it's clearly worked. No one's ever heard of the fooker.
Are you really saying that drivers just use the road markings as gospel and completely ignore the legal and Highway Code standard road signs along with using a bit of common sense?

If it said 'Car Gate' then aye I could understand the confusion to but to claim someone would be confused by the bus gate wording on the road when there's also signs telling them what it's for is just a 'cop' out 🤣

That one in South Shields has 1 big sign and then another set of signs either side of the road and the bus gate wording is right next to it but you'd also see the signs from distance given the 1st one giving the initial warning. Only an incompetent driver would proceed to go through it as you can see in my post above regarding the blue signs. No wonder the standard of driving on the roads seems to be worse if there are that many clueless drivers out there.

Last edited:
Anyone any idea about "no car lanes". I drive into Sunderland once in a blue moon for matchdays and spotted these.

At first glance, it's obvious "no car". I'm in a car, so I didn't go in. But vans did. But some didn't. Is a pickup truck a car? Lad in front didn't take the chance.

HGVs went down it mind, not a car so I guess that's OK.... but it has to be the only fast track lane in the country where the bus is stuck behind three HGVs, a motor home, 2 supporters coaches, a minicab, a minibus,numerous taxis and vans while the cars go sailing past!

The reason was (and is) to keep drivers on the main roads and prevent them cutting through village centres. It makes a lot of sense. Safer for bairns to play out, less pollution, quieter etc. The benefits have eroded over time with car ownership and usage going through the roof though.
Can see the logic to a point but in the couple of examples I gave I don’t think they were needed anyway, Ayton especially was/is a main road quite a way back from where kids would congregate in the actual village centre where the shops and up towards the park are.

This one is bad:

Percy Street in Newcastle. The correct way is to do a U-turn on the mini roundabout and go back the way you came. That's not a logical thing to do on a busy city centre street though. The sign telling you to do this is on the right hand side on the traffic island after the mini roundabout.

If you're in the left hand lane, you either miss that sign or notice it too late. Then you end up at a crossroads with no right turn permitted monitored by CCTV, a bus gate if you go straight over and a buses only turn to the left.

There's one between Moorside and Doxford International which is regularly used by Audi drivers since they got rid of the bollard. Very few of these seem to have camera enforcement.
I use it twice a day. It takes over a mile off my journey so my guilt of breaking the law is eased by knowing I'm reducing my carbon footprint

It's these feckers from the countryside, coming into our cities and leaving the bus gates open. They get out, roam free, and cause havoc among the urban motorist.
"What here's this bus gate pa" "I don't know Jim Bob but it scares and confuses me" while banjos play in the background
That looks tight and it's smaller at 2m but I guess it's because of the knackers in heavy vehicles going across as I see the weak bridge sign.

I see the stones that are sticking out are slanted which means the tyres would hit them at the bottom but that still means the front end could clip the stone before the front tyres. I could do it no bother but it's obvious that it's not easy. Surely they could they not put some protective barrier prior to the stones to help guide drivers into the right position before they end up scraping their car? I bet some drivers don't even go over and take the longer route over either side of it.

The bus gate is still the same thing, they've still got signs that should be obvious to competent drivers. Ignoring the knackers who ignore signs no matter what they say, it's more down to people probably not knowing what blue signs are for. It's just the same as these other kinds of blue signs that people will see all the time.

It's also the same as the pedestrian/bicycle ones you see a lot more of now. Or do drivers who can't understand the bus/bicycle one also think that's for them to drive along there also? If people can't understand those blue signs and what the bus one means then they they need to brush up on their Highway Code as what else do they not know?

Motorists looking at the kids on the pavement "can I drive on that? It will take 2 seconds off of my journey so move kids"

Last edited:
I drove through the Sulgrave one the other week like, was on me way to drop something off at a mate’s and took the wrong route into Sulgrave and only realised when I got to it beside the flats, so it was either bomb through it and turn right where I needed to be or turn round and drive round in a massive circle. I chose to think of the environment and use less fuel ;).

I’m not actually sure what the point in them is anyway, they gave up with the Ayton centre one years ago and it’s far better now you can drive through it (legally) rather than be forced round in a massive detour.
Not many took any notice of the one outside the cop shop at the Galleries either. Even when it was manned. The Albany one was eventually blocked off for some reason.

Anyone any idea about "no car lanes". I drive into Sunderland once in a blue moon for matchdays and spotted these.

At first glance, it's obvious "no car". I'm in a car, so I didn't go in. But vans did. But some didn't. Is a pickup truck a car? Lad in front didn't take the chance.

HGVs went down it mind, not a car so I guess that's OK.... but it has to be the only fast track lane in the country where the bus is stuck behind three HGVs, a motor home, 2 supporters coaches, a minicab, a minibus,numerous taxis and vans while the cars go sailing past!
Aye cans can use it. I use them regularly in pick up at work to sail past the cars
Aye cans can use it. I use them regularly in pick up at work to sail past the cars
@bobster999 just wondered why you laughed mate, hoping I’m not mistaken and vans actually aren’t allowed to use it lol

Last edited:
My dad says it's nowt like a bus lane. There you go.
It's not like a bus lane, because there is Nother lane for cars. With a bus gate it takes up all the road and if you are a stranger to the area, you have nowhere to go BUT if you go across it and turn round, you get a fine. Welcome to Somerset!

Can't be used by private cars - everything else is fine. In your examples, if the pickup was a private car then they shouldn't have used it but if it was a business vehicle then they can.

Back