What is a 'Bus gate' and can you legally use it in your car?

There's one in Edinburgh road in shields. Made summick like 250 grand in fines cos no fooker knew what a busgate was. Clearly designed to confuse drivers to make money.

When you drop off at the front of the train station and you turn left to where Sinatras was and then right again you are on a Bus Only lane (but you wouldn't know it because you can't see the no access sign until you are around the corner)

Holmeside has long been a problem area for bellends in cars going up and down when they weren’t meant to.

This caused lost of congestion and many near misses on the crossing where the Borough is.

That’s the reason the bus gate is now in place. It still hasn’t stopped cars going up, that’s why a camera is needed.

Just drive around. It’s not that difficult.

I would imagine there will be signs up saying no cars, buses only. If you disobey them then you are falling foul of whatever traffic regulations apply and you can be fined or whatever.

I would imagine there will be signs up saying no cars, buses only. If you disobey them then you are falling foul of whatever traffic regulations apply and you can be fined or whatever.
There are signs as I explained in my waffle of a post on the 1st page as some have the blue sign with the bus icon or the one with the car icon and 'except buses'.

Some people usually moan for the sake of moaning or trying to pick fault for the sake of picking fault.

Holmeside has long been a problem area for bellends in cars going up and down when they weren’t meant to.

This caused lost of congestion and many near misses on the crossing where the Borough is.

That’s the reason the bus gate is now in place. It still hasn’t stopped cars going up, that’s why a camera is needed.

When you drop off at the front of the train station and you turn left to where Sinatras was and then right again you are on a Bus Only lane (but you wouldn't know it because you can't see the no access sign until you are around the corner)
Ideally there should be a warning sign along from the station to Sinatra's. In the past you could still pull into the side road beside Sinatra's and then turnaround. With the redevelopment going on then there's no way to turnaround safely. Even on this Google Maps image from April 2023 there looks to be a car going up Holmeside, though possibly OK depending on what the words are on the sign.

Just drive around. It’s not that difficult.
I don't know if this has changed to a bus gate but it has signs and also the bus lane road markings. As you can see there's a sign a short distance after saying end of bus lane which is a lot more signage to tell a driver it's a bus lane and then that it's not. A simple solution is to have the 1 point drivers cannot cross and it just so happens they named a bus gate, which isn't a bad idea.

There are signs as I explained in my waffle of a post on the 1st page as some have the blue sign with the bus icon or the one with the car icon and 'except buses'.

Some people usually moan for the sake of moaning or trying to pick fault for the sake of picking fault.

I don't know if this has changed to a bus gate but it has signs and also the bus lane road markings. As you can see there's a sign a short distance after saying end of bus lane which is a lot more signage to tell a driver it's a bus lane and then that it's not. A simple solution is to have the 1 point drivers cannot cross and it just so happens they named a bus gate, which isn't a bad idea.

Yep, cars shouldn’t be using that road either going in that direction. It’s clearly sign posted and written on the floor on the approach too.

I believe the only camera in Sunderland is Dene St, Silksworth. The camera was only put within the last 6 months I think. Drivers therefore have free rein everywhere else to use bus lanes and even park in them like on Durham Rd.

Edit- Just noticed you’ve mentioned Dene St, I’d not read most of the thread until now 😀

Last edited:
There's one in Edinburgh road in shields. Made summick like 250 grand in fines cos no fooker knew what a busgate was. Clearly designed to confuse drivers to make money.
I recall this one being in the news a while back and personally I just laugh at shit like that.

Even in September last year someone got out of a fine

It's not clearly designed to confuse drivers to make money at all. It's more the fact that people don't know what the Highway Code blue sign means or just ignore it even though they do know. Looking at Google maps below from July 2022 you can see the 1st set of huge signage on approach and it's telling all non cycle/bus traffic to turn right. Further on is another set of signs with the camera warning also.

If people are still driving through and being fined then it's their own stupid f***ing fault as it's not as if it's clear enough. The fact that bus gate is painted on the road is also a big hint about what the blue signs may mean but if they still can't understand the legitimate Highway Code signs, regardless of the bus gate road markings then fuck knows what they're like elsewhere on the roads. Maybe there is a place called Busgate (like Wingate) and it's just confusing people who want to travel to Busgate? 🤣

Looking at google maps, it's not as if it's clear enough anyway that you can't drive a car through. The problem being is that a sign alone won't stop the knackers going through. All this crap about making money is rubbish, it's more down to people taking the piss and them being forced to do something about it. What's even more amusing is that even Google Maps has caught a van obviously going through it 🤣

Last edited:
Same as the bus links in Washington. Nee cameras on them so no-one takes any notice.
I drove through the Sulgrave one the other week like, was on me way to drop something off at a mate’s and took the wrong route into Sulgrave and only realised when I got to it beside the flats, so it was either bomb through it and turn right where I needed to be or turn round and drive round in a massive circle. I chose to think of the environment and use less fuel ;).

I’m not actually sure what the point in them is anyway, they gave up with the Ayton centre one years ago and it’s far better now you can drive through it (legally) rather than be forced round in a massive detour.

I drove through the Sulgrave one the other week like, was on me way to drop something off at a mate’s and took the wrong route into Sulgrave and only realised when I got to it beside the flats, so it was either bomb through it and turn right where I needed to be or turn round and drive round in a massive circle. I chose to think of the environment and use less fuel ;).

I’m not actually sure what the point in them is anyway, they gave up with the Ayton centre one years ago and it’s far better now you can drive through it (legally) rather than be forced round in a massive detour.
The reason was (and is) to keep drivers on the main roads and prevent them cutting through village centres. It makes a lot of sense. Safer for bairns to play out, less pollution, quieter etc. The benefits have eroded over time with car ownership and usage going through the roof though.

There was one in Blackfell was from when everyone used to walk to school and most of the junior school children were without an adult. It made it safer to cross the road.

I don't think that's a concern now as most either get dropped off by car or walk with an adult.

Posh name for a bus only lane. Theres a bus gate exiting my estate, use it and its £40 for the privilege.
There's one between Moorside and Doxford International which is regularly used by Audi drivers since they got rid of the bollard. Very few of these seem to have camera enforcement.

I saw one for the first time yesterday at Wrekenton (next to Aldi). Traffic was at a standstill and there were no cameras so I just drove through it.

There's one between Moorside and Doxford International which is regularly used by Audi drivers since they got rid of the bollard. Very few of these seem to have camera enforcement.
Crazy.

The one on my estate has an enforcement camera, where before cars could use the route freely. Now cars have to divert like a rat run through side streets to get off another way and to say it is dangerous a school times is an understatement. But hey, the council are making a few bob out of it.

I have a feeling the name is legacy when they really were gates.

Google Maps - This one in North Tyneside near Silverlink, the buses used to have to have guidewheels to get through. It's been converted now though.

or the ones with rising bollards like this one here: https://alittlebitofstone.com/2022/04/01/reminder-of-fines-as-stone-bus-gate-camera-goes-live/

Which had it's own problems with bellends.
Aye I've seen a few bus only rising bollards videos of car crashing but this one with the AA van towing a car is a new one 🤣

Here's one I haven't seen before though, vehicle width restriction bollards and people aren't just clipping it but smashing into them 🤪

Even though Google maps shows a Luton type van going through it

Last edited:

Back